Toyota not honoring recall of my truck

I bought a 1996 Tacoma back in 2009, Toyota still had previous owners listed as current owner, not me. I was unaware of a recall they had for my Tacoma because Toyota sent the letter to the previous owner and not me. Now I find out about this recall last week and contact Toyota, which is how I found out about them not having me as the current owner. I have owned this truck for 5 years and now the frame has rusted so bad that it will no longer pass inspection. So I call Toyota and explain the situation and ask that they reconsider honoring the recall even though it expired Dec.31,2013. Since it was actually a mistake made on their part, not mine, I would have taken my truck in if I had received the letter telling me about the recall. I do all my own maintenance so I never had to take my truck to a dealer for repairs. They told me I should have taken it to a dealer and the dealer would have told me about any recalls. Sorry but I don't need to spend that kind of money when I can easily do the work myself, anyway, I was told that since the recall expired ,I can do nothing and they will not honor the recall though it was no fault of mine. I find their decision to be totally unfair, even though they acknowledge the fact that it was their fault, they will not honor the recall. I guess it is time to say goodbye to Toyota and buy Ford or Chevy, maybe a dodge. I would like to know how many of you out there feel that this is unfair and that they should at least fix my frame if they don't want to buy the truck back as stated in the recall that I knew nothing about. Please, I would like honest opinions and even suggestions on other avenues I may be able to explore to remedy my situation. Thanks for taking time to read this post. My truck is a part of me and I feel as though I am losing a friend here.