just bought a 2001

zheguo

I just bought a 2001 with 124,000 miles. I paid for a professional AAA inspection, and it passed with flying colors except for a small oil leak, dirty brake fluid, and a timing belt that shows no sign of having been changed recently. First off, I'd like to say I'm excited to be here in the club & on the forum. I'm new to cars and am hoping to learn a lot!

Is there anything in particular I should keep my eye on? Do Camry's in general or 2001 Camry's in particular have any weird glitches or idiosyncrasies I should watch out for?

Thanks for the help.

In general, Camry's are very dependable, but get that brake fluid changed. As I recall, Toyota doesn't require brake fluid changes in the maintenance schedule, but most manufacturers do, and for good reason. Toyota's don't have any magic brake systems that prevent the brake fluid from absorbing water from the air. Water in the brake fluid will corrode the brake system from the inside and if the brake calipers get too hot, the water will turn to steam and you will have no brakes. The typical change interval is every 2 years, but if you drive in a very dry climate you might get away with longer intervals. I have heard of a test to measure the amount of water in brake fluid, but I just change mine, so I have not tried it.

• 6 months later...

I have heard the debate about changing or not changing brake fluid. I think if it were really important, manufacturers would put it in the maintenance schedule. On the other hand, it's true that brake fluid can absorb moisture-- which you don't want-- so it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid every few years.

• 1 month later...

A 2001 Camry was my first Toyota. Had 127k miles. Ran like a charm, still does at 205k miles! (sold it to my sister at 140k)

What I did:

Transmission service (take pan off, they check for stuff)

spark plugs

Timing belt was shown to have been replaced around 100k miles so I left it alone.

Since I sold it, they've replaced the timing belt, and we replaced all four struts/springs/mounts.

Enjoy your camry, I miss that car!