power window problem

ersol

Hello Guys!

I'm new here; glad to find your discussion board!

I have a 2002 Camry. Just recently, the front passenger power window is acting up. I tried to open it one afternoon but when it's time to close, it won't go up. Tested the motor by applying direct battery power and worked up fine; also tested the switch in the back window and is working fine; fuse is okay. It will go down but not go up even when you use the driver's master control switch for that window. What could be the problem? It only has 51,000 miles, 4 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Hello Guys!

I'm new here; glad to find your discussion board!

I have a 2002 Camry. Just recently, the front passenger power window is acting up. I tried to open it one afternoon but when it's time to close, it won't go up. Tested the motor by applying direct battery power and worked up fine; also tested the switch in the back window and is working fine; fuse is okay. It will go down but not go up even when you use the driver's master control switch for that window. What could be the problem? It only has 51,000 miles, 4 years old.

Thanks for any help.

It's probably a short in the motor. Mine did the same thing. Just replace the motor when it gets too annoying. Will it close later after the car sits for awhile?

The power window motors have a bi-metal thermal cut-off switch. They're intended to shut down the motor if the window gets jammed (like raising it with your arm in it). The most likely scenario is that your switch is going bad and is tripping as soon as load is applied. It'll just get worse.

Do you find it goes up a teensy bit and then stops? Then if you wait a few minutes, it'll go up a teensy bit more. That's symptomatic of a bad thermal switch.

They're usually part of the motor assembly, and you can't get the part separately. That's why the dealer will just swap out the motor. Since it's quite possible the motor is overheating slightly and causing the switch to go bad, a full replacement may not be a bad idea. You have to remove the entire motor anyway, which is a nightmare pain in the butt. When the one in my Sienna went, we just hot-wired the switch and it's been fine ever since, but that's not an approach I'd recommend unless you clearly understand that if you *do* roll up the window and something gets jammed, you'll likely shatter the glass.

Brad.

I bet he can get a good price on a used unit as a whole at a junkyard.

Definitely worth a check. I'm not sure what the used parts situation is in your area, but when I had to go through this with my Sienna, the best price I could find on a used part was Cdn$395, and Toyota would sell me a brand new part for Cdn$400. I was just a tad annoyed that new was only $5 more than used, but that may have been an anomaly.

Mind you, maybe I just need better sources for used parts. :rolleyes:

Funny. Here in the south, it seems like there are more than enough junkyards to provide enough competition to keep the prices down. No problem at all getting parts at a good price here. Even for brand new Toys.

Funny. Here in the south, it seems like there are more than enough junkyards to provide enough competition to keep the prices down. No problem at all getting parts at a good price here. Even for brand new Toys.

Thank you guys for all your opinions. I just solved the problem and here is the cause:

The master control switch on the driver's side affects all window switches. Even if all the other individual windows are working but the corresponding switch in the master is broke, the window will not function. All power and functions pass thru the master. I opened the master switch all the way to the motherboard. The top switch handle cover (the black color with the 4 switches, the side mirror switch, and the on/off window safety switch) can be separated from the underneath electronic motherboard which are attached with 3 small screws. Upon separation, I discovered that the 4 top handle switches have a "fork-like" or "claw-like' feature at their bottoms which move each window mechanism in a forward or backward manner so that when you push the switch handle down, the mechanism moves backward and the window goes down; by the same token, when you lift the switch handle, the mechanism moves forward and the window goes up. This "fork-like" or "claw-like" shape at the bottom of each handle catches and inserted into a small "knob-like" feature attached to the mechanism that slides it to move forward or backward. What happened to my passenger side window switch handle was that this "fork-like" feature broke and so could not control the mechanism. You cannot buy just the top handle cover separate from the electronic mechanism; you have to buy the complete unit which costs US$ 385 - 400 from the dealerchip. I was able to find a used one for US$ 75.00. What caused the handle switch fork to break, I do not know. My car is only 4 years old and 50,000 miles. I may have to write the Toyota company for an explanation or to suggest to research and develop a more sturdy design of the switches.

There you are folks. Lots of work and diagnosis but it saved me some money.

• Thanks 1

• 15 years later...

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry. The passenger side window button on the driver's side won't move. On the passenger side the button will move but nothing happens! I did the rest thing and got the two back windows working. But still not the passenger window. H E L P Please 🥺