Clips on bottom of car

yuppicide

I thought I'd ask this question before I went to an auto parts store.I have a 2009 Corolla.

Long story short, I had an accident last night. No other cars involved.. and I have no idea what.. was it a cat? dog? rabbit? someone rolling a bowling ball across the road? I had no time to react and I couldn't see anything behind me. My car jumped a little as it hit whatever it hit.

There was a noise from my car. It was the plastic underneath the car had fallen loose and was dragging on the ground. I guess that protects the other stuff under there. I had to drive home like that and then tape it up so I can go to work today.

The front plastic has some kind of screw with plastic pieces on it.. not sure what you call it. That I was able to push back in.

I had a coworker look at it and he says the other plastic has some clips that go on it.. what are these clips called? He says I need of them.

Sounds like you damaged the splash guard. It keep water from being thrown up into the engine during rain events. It also has an aerodynamic function which helps you get better gas mileage. The clips are called splash guard retainer clips. Probably the cheapest place to get them is on ebay. I looked today and there are a number of listings for Corolla splash guard retainer clips. I would look under the car and determine how many you need and what size they are. Sometimes they use different length ones at different places on the car. You may well need just one size. Look at the ones on the undamaged side of the car to determine the sizes you need. They become brittle with age so get a few extra.

To remove them you just pull on the center part with you fingers or maybe a screwdriver or pointy nose pliers. Then pull the outer ring and the whole thing should come out.

To install a clip you pull the center portion out and push on the outer ring to get it into the hole. Then push the center section in and it will lock in place.

The following link is what I found. It is a good place to start. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Exterior-/33637/i.html?mvsub=1&_mcatda=true&_nkw=clips%202009%20Toyota%20Corolla&selfil=1%2C2%2C3&selvel=2009~Toyota~Corolla~-~-

For reference: I called Toyota with the information you gave me.. he asked me one question.. was it one piece underneath or two that join together. I said two. He said it's just one size clip. I believe he told me $3.99 each whereas the ones online are much cheaper.

You are welcome and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club. I have had great success with Toyotas - have owned 2 of them. One for 12 years bought new and sold last year with 130K miles on it (a 2000 Camry), one for 10 years bought used and currently for sale (2000 Solara with 103K miles). Actually I think I am crazy to get rid of it but I bought another car on ebay and it is newer.

• 4 weeks later...