Refuting Denial of Warranty Claim - '09 Matrix Water Pump Failure

Has anyone had experience with fighting Extra Care when they deny a claim under the Extended Powertrain Warranty?? I was told by 2 mechanics that my water pump bearings failed and caused my drive belt to break, resulting in my engine overheating. However, Toyota Extra Care is saying it must have been my negligence regarding the engine overheat that caused any damage to any covered component. Although they have failed to state how I could have caused the engine to overheat, my presumption is they feel that the drive belt caused the whole problem. I have SEVERAL questions regarding this- including how my drive belt could have been deemed just FINE during a multi-point inspection 5 weeks prior to the incident. Also, I have been told that the Corolla/Matrix engine is infamous for premature water pump bearing failure.

If anyone has experience with these things, or information on getting an ombudsman involved, I'd really appreciate the input!

• 10 months later...

This same thing happened to my wife's 09 Camry last week. Toyota Extra Care is saying that the water pump failed and the coolant leaked which caused the engine to overheat.

They have denied the Powertrain Warranty because the damage to the engine was cause by the water pump.

How did you go about dealing with this?