Rattle or Squeak in rear of 2013

jafu3457

I hear a rattle or squeak when going at low speed over a slightly bumpy surface. I can't hear it at highway speed or when in a noisy environment. I removed everything from the back of the car, including the carpeting, back seat headrests, jack, spare tire and supporting styrofoam. The noise persists and I believe it's coming from the inside of the back door itself. I removed the plastic access panels and found nothing loose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem driving me crazy, I rode in the back while my wife drove & found that the tailgate was the problem, tried riding several times with the tailgate open and quiet. I have an appointment this coming Monday at hte dealership to see if they can resolve the problem.

dgarrowser.......Sorry you're having a similar problem. It appears this may be systemic with this new model RAV. Hopefully Toyota will hear enough complaints and offer a permanent fix via a recall.

Meanwhile, my dealer found the problem and provided a fix, at least temporarily. The problem is from the black rubber weatherstripping around the back door (hatch). There are two strips, one that goes around the edge of the hatch, and one that is on the car body. I was told the mechanic lubricated the weatherstripping and the sound went away. I don't know which of the strips was causing the noise or what he specifically applied and foolishly neglected to ask.

However, a few weeks later the rattle returned. I took some silicone spray, applied it to all the weatherstripping, and once again the noise is gone. I hope this helps you and we get a factory solution soon. Good Luck!

I went to the dealer where I purchased our Rav and explained the problem. This is what was written on the service report. Customer states squeak in rear hatch. If you drive with hatch open squeak goes away. Verified complaint. Found striker plate out of adjustment, adjusted striker plate. Test drove vehicle again and noise is gone. They did not use any type of lubricant. You may want to go to a differant dealership or have a chat with the one you are currentlying using.

Hope this helps