Power Steering Fluid

CamryGirl

Hi, I took my car to a mechanic and he said I have a leak in my power steering and need to replace my rack and pinion. How much does this normally cost? And what kind of power steering fluid should I use? I did go to Pep Boys and saw some power steering fluid that has "stop leak" written all over it but not sure if I could use it. I'm new to this site so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated..thanks! :)

Hi, I took my car to a mechanic and he said I have a leak in my power steering and need to replace my rack and pinion. How much does this normally cost? And what kind of power steering fluid should I use? I did go to Pep Boys and saw some power steering fluid that has "stop leak" written all over it but not sure if I could use it. I'm new to this site so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated..thanks! :)

Stop leak would at best be a temporary fix....

welcome to the club.

As has been said, keep an eye on the fluid level, and keep it topped up, the stop leak would certainly be a good short term fix, and perhaps try a few different garages to see if they all suggest replacing the rack and pinion, not to mention compare the quotes.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Well...did you ask any other shops if they also recommended replacing it?

2. Valvoline full synthetic power steering fluid might help, instead of just stop leak. Not to prevent leaks, but to prevent further wear to a possibly already damaged rack and pinion. Is it making any more noise or anything?

It's weird...when I turn all the way...then it makes a noise..like a loud squeeching sound..like SQQqueech!!..so I stopped turning all the way..lol...I tend to drive around the block instead of making u-turns..lol. My car also has another weird noise. When I start it..the engine is really loud. But when it's kinda warmed up around 2000 rpm it stops. I'm hoping it's just something vibrating onto something or whatever. Don't know.. :huh:.

SteveLaw: Nah..I didn't have time to bring it to another mechanic..the mechanic I brought it to was a friend so I guess I should trust him..

Yeah. go ahread and ask at least one other shop what they think and do not tell them what the first mechanic said.

Also, get the Valvoline power steering fluid. I am using it, as you can see from my other posts on this issue.

Yeah. go ahread and ask at least one other shop what they think and do not tell them what the first mechanic said.

Also, get the Valvoline power steering fluid. I am using it, as you can see from my other posts on this issue.

And how many miles are on it? Got a belt loose? You just might. $25 for a new belt at Pep Boys.

My car has 88,000 mi. Oh and another thing..once in a blue moon when I try to turn the wheel...it doesn't turn easy...like I have to fight it. That only happens for about a second and then it's fine.

How can you tell if I need a new belt?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 95 Camry with a steering fluid leak that appears to be coming out of the Rack Housing Cap. Is this something that I can screw out, and stick some RTV sealant on, then screw back in. I cleaned housing and then took pictures. The leak is getting worse and I assume it is still from the same spot. Last year I showed the pictures to the service department manager at a Toyota dealership. He said that I would have to change out the whole steering rack. ???

welcome to the club.

As has been said, keep an eye on the fluid level, and keep it topped up, the stop leak would certainly be a good short term fix, and perhaps try a few different garages to see if they all suggest replacing the rack and pinion, not to mention compare the quotes.

Interesting. I was just at my dealer with my '02 Camry (the same guys who said that changing the back-lit bulbs on the fan speed and temp control knobs was a two hour job) and they told me that I had better change and flush my power steering fluid (@ 50K miles) or I would be practically guaranteed power steering rack problems in the near future. Que pasa with these service recommendations from dealerships?

welcome to the club.

Interesting. I was just at my dealer with my '02 Camry (the same guys who said that changing the back-lit bulbs on the fan speed and temp control knobs was a two hour job) and they told me that I had better change and flush my power steering fluid (@ 50K miles) or I would be practically guaranteed power steering rack problems in the near future. Que pasa with these service recommendations from dealerships?

Senor, look at it this way: It's not expensive to change out the power steering fluid yourself. I think they are trying to get some labor hour charge$ out of you. You can do it yourself. And once you go synthetic, you'd probabvly never have to change it again.