electrical short

jean

My beloved 1990 celica gts has a short somewhere in the electrical system which drains the battery whenever it is turned off. Yes, I can disconnect the battery every night, but this is not very convenient at work or a restaurant. I've had problems with the passenger window, sunroof, & passenger tail light & my mechanic is checking these-but so far, no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks-

jean

Also aftermarket alarms are VERY good at draining batteries sometime. Also, you may have an alternator issue where it's not charging the battery, which would explain why it goes dead each time you turn it off...and your battery may be so far gone it's not going to hold a charge.

Unfortunatley, current drain can wind up as a painstaking effort to diagnose. I am assuming you put a test light between the positive terminal and ground, right?

Unfortunatley, current drain can wind up as a painstaking effort to diagnose. I am assuming you put a test light between the positive terminal and ground, right?

My mechanic has checked both the battery & the alternator. I don't think that he has checked out the stereo. I'll suggest that. I know that finding the short can be very difficult. So what do people do if they can't find it? I love to drive this car & hate to lose it.