Repairs

bobliane

I have a 2000 Solara V6. My check engine light has recently come on and stays on. The car runs great and there are no other apparent symptoms of a problem. What can cause the light? If the oil and coolant levels are okay, is there any urgency to get the light checked out?

I can't afford any major work now and would appreciate any insights you can give me.

p.s. (A few months ago I got a valve job on the engine preformed by my dealer.)

Go to an Autozone near you, if there is one, and ask them to pull the code for you. Most of them will do it for free (in the expectation that they will sell you a sensor or something). Some Advance Auto Parts (AAP) will do it for free as well. After you see what the code is, then go from there.

• 5 weeks later...

I had the Check Engine light come on second time. First time it went away after the gas tank cap was tightened. But this time it did not. Toyota recommended take to dealer. Somewhere on the web I found suggestion to unplug the battery and see. I did and the light went away. You might want to try this first.

Yes you were right...it came on next day...I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and got the Oxygen sensor code PO 135 which I gather is front passenger side..I'll be taking it to the dealer..hope it is covered under the 90 k 7 year warranty I've seen in the Owner's manual. I've owned Toyatas since 91 and feel their quality and reliablity has been going down esp as manufacturing shifted out of Japan. I still have 91 camry which runs fine.

• 4 weeks later...