Cut off at 7K RPM

turbo2

is the red line actually at 8.000 rpm?

have you verified this with toyota?

A friend of mine owns one and we where out one day driving and he was curious to see if the engine would rev that high. Well at 7,000 RPM the limiter cut in and my friend and I where very shocked. I didn't beleive it so I took it for a spin and it did the same thing! My friend wants to notify toyota but he is afraid that if he does he could void his warranty. Then again Toyota is to blame for LYING to there owners that the engine can rev that high. Even in the brochure it says that the engine get full power at 7,600 RPM. How can this be when it cuts in at 7,000RPM. On the RPM gauge redline starts after 8,000. What should my friend do?? Should he go to the dealer or call toyota direct?? PLEASE HELP

well - you cant void your warranty by tripping the rev limiter... its there to stop you damaging your engine.

But again - where did you get the 8000RPM figure from? I dont know of any other Toyota with such a high redline.

Well if you look at any Celica GTS or corolla XRS or any right up on them, even looking at the Tachometer, it shows that Redline is Over 8,000RPM. Ibelieve it's someting like 8,125 or 8,250. The corolla XRS has the same motor as in the Celica GTS except that instead of 180 HP it's detuned to 170, well actually 165 with the new Standard they use to mesure horespower. Also if you look at a Corollar brochure online or at the dealer you will see that max HP is attained at 7,600 RPM. Fidgets, you being the administrator should know that!

I managed to find some internet literature, not from Toy, that also says the power curve maximizes at around 7600 rpm. But anyone who has ever built engines knows that to get that much rpms one has to use roller cams with solid lifters, all kinds of measures to prevent valve float. I don't see Toy advising people to pull 8 grand.

• 3 weeks later...

a 2ZZ GE will not engage lift or rev above 7000rpm if the engine is not at a sufficent temperature or warmed up enough. The latest version of the 2ZZ in the corolla XRS has a rev limiter set a 8450rpm.

The engine was warmed up and I do have the latest 2zz engine. I have a 05' Corolla XRS.

Also if you running low octane fuel or the ECU determins there to be an excessive amount of detonation the Rev-limiter will be engaged

I always put in Premium unleaded fuel in my car, hopefully it is. I knwo that there are some cas stations that have dumped regular unleaded fuel in there Premium unleaded tanks, even though it is illegal. Is there a way Ican fine out ifmy fuel is premium unleaded? If not is there a octane booster that I can add to my car that is safe to use?

Think of the evidence issues here. You'll never be able to determine what kind of gas you are getting without funding litigation as a plaintiff. Your state agriculture commission understands this fact.

A long time ago, I had a job at an Amoco station. I used to do the night tickets. My boss, Peter, used to save all of the oil we took out of cars we changed oil for and save it in 55 gallon drums with drain plugs in the bottom. At night, he'd take the used motor oil and pour it into the diesel fuel tank!! So these customers would come and fill up their Volvos with what they thought was diesel, but they were getting about 5 to 10 percent used motor oil.

just avoid boosters using MMT, or you'll learn an expensive lesson in plug fouling

What is MMT? Can you recommend to me a certain type or name of a octane booster that I can add to my gas tank?

Think of the evidence issues here. You'll never be able to determine what kind of gas you are getting without funding litigation as a plaintiff. Your state agriculture commission understands this fact.

A long time ago, I had a job at an Amoco station. I used to do the night tickets. My boss, Peter, used to save all of the oil we took out of cars we changed oil for and save it in 55 gallon drums with drain plugs in the bottom. At night, he'd take the used motor oil and pour it into the diesel fuel tank!! So these customers would come and fill up their Volvos with what they thought was diesel, but they were getting about 5 to 10 percent used motor oil.

You should have turned him in and found another job. What he did was uncalled for and he should of been put in the slammer and been fined, but then again I don't know what the laws where back then? How far back are we talking about??

Comments on the Gasoline Additive MMT (methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl)

MMT is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasoline at a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn).

In its decision on the use of MMT in the U.S., the Agency determined that MMT added at 1/32 gpg MN will not cause or contribute to regulated emissions failures of vehicles. Some have expressed concerns that the use of MMT may harm on-board diagnostic equipment (OBD) which monitors the performance of emissions control devices in the vehicle. As of this time, the Agency believes the data collected is inconclusive with regard to OBD.

Manganese is a neurotoxin and can cause irreversible neurological disease at high levels of inhalation. However, ingested manganese is a required element of the diet at very low levels. There is a concern that the use of manganese additives in gasoline could increase inhalation manganese exposures.

After completing a risk evaluation in 1994 on the use of MMT in gasoline, EPA was unable, based on the available data, to determine if these is a risk to the public health from exposure to emissions of MMT gasoline. The Agency stated "Although it is not possible based on the present information to conclude whether specific adverse health effects will be associated with manganese exposures in the vicinity of or exceeding the [estimated safe level over a lifetime of exposure], neither is it possible to conclude that adverse health effects will not be associated with such exposures." This assessment was based upon the level of MMT allowed in U.S. gasoline.

More specifically, modeling indicates that, as a result of MMT use in unleaded gasoline, certain portions of the population may be exposed to levels in the same range as the Reference Concentration (RfC or safe level for a lifetime exposure with an order of magnitude uncertainty). Because the expected exposure is not much higher or much lower than the RfC, a definitive conclusion about risk is impossible to reach. Long-term animal testing and exposure research are needed to more accurately define the risk.

Under Clean Air Act authority to require testing of motor fuels and additives, EPA has required the Ethyl Corporation to perform testing to help fill in data gaps and potentially provide information that would result in a more definitive risk evaluation. After submission of this additional information late in 2004, the Agency will study the results. The Agency may then be able to refine its risk evaluation or may ask for further testing based upon the results of the testing now being performed.

With funding from Ethyl Corporation, Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has also completed a study of manganese exposures in Toronto, Canada where MMT is used. The Agency is evaluating this study to determine what impact it might have on any evaluation of risk associated with use of the additive.

you can use Toulene as an octane booster, it has no negative side effects and is allready an additive in pump gas, other than that STP Octane booster is good stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...