Any Canadians here?

CalgaryYaris

I've heard you won't be getting these for a bit yet. Yes, its mine - had it since last Friday and put on 550k (341.5 miles) so far. Seems to add up quickly :D Can't compare it to an Echo because I've never even ridden in one.

I really like the fit and finish on this car, superior to anything I've seen in its class - that being super econobox - going to the RS version and adding all the bells and whistles brings it into a slightly higher class and comparable to fit and finish of cars like the Golf, Civic, etc. The Tercel I had many years ago was very good but the Yaris is much better. I've heard it refered to as a "baby Lexus." That's not a bad description and close to accurate.

The engine is very peppy, apparently its been set up with more torque in the lower RPM for urban driving. It does rev freely although I haven't really pushed it since I haven't broken it in yet. Only redlined it once so far :lol: Definately on par if not slightly better than the early 80's Accord I owned many years ago. There's an odd delay when hitting the gas pedal which is from the electronic control. Not bad and many people don't even notice it, it's just a few milliseconds - but I won't be drag racing this car :blink: . The manual transmission is good, solid shifts and nothing bad or awkward feeling. Torque steering is not even noticable. The steering itself is a bit light at slow speed but firms up nicely at higher speeds. Its an electronic power steering rather than the usual hydraulic pump - frees up a couple of horsepower which is nice.

The suspension is pretty good - although the stock tires limit it a bit. I think lowering it and adding sway bars would make this car corner very well indeed. In stock form, the suspension is reasonably stiff without being harsh. However, even though I'm still not pushing it super hard I can feel the stock tires not being up to snuff. The wheels in the pic are aftermarket - they were half the price of the OEM alloy available and better looking too, IMHO.

The Yaris is reasonably quiet on the highway, didn't have to turn up the (stock) radio much, although the bass was starting to lose out to road noise at 110k (70mph). However, my mom was in the car so wasn't at my usual listening level ;) The CE model I have is bare bones, manual everything that can be. The seats are quite comfortable, holds me well through corners and are good for long drives - did a 2 hour trip on the second day I had it. Lots of room front and back, had a 6 foot tall friend sitting in back and he said he was surprised how much head and leg room he had.

Overall, this is one of the better cars I've owned. Not the best, but very close for comfort, as well as fit and finish. And, the performance is still reasonable for the gas economy this car has.

Overall, very good value - would say its worth more than I paid. This probably explains why there's at least a month long waiting list in Canada at pretty much any dealer. My dealer could not keep them on the lot - sold several sight unseen. I took the first available one regardless of trim level and colour (I only wanted 3door manual trans) because my old car was dying most ungracefully - and it was still almost 4 weeks to get my Yaris.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard you won't be getting these for a bit yet. Yes, its mine - had it since last Friday and put on 550k (341.5 miles) so far. Seems to add up quickly :D Can't compare it to an Echo because I've never even ridden in one.

I really like the fit and finish on this car, superior to anything I've seen in its class - that being super econobox - going to the RS version and adding all the bells and whistles brings it into a slightly higher class and comparable to fit and finish of cars like the Golf, Civic, etc. The Tercel I had many years ago was very good but the Yaris is much better. I've heard it refered to as a "baby Lexus." That's not a bad description and close to accurate.

The engine is very peppy, apparently its been set up with more torque in the lower RPM for urban driving. It does rev freely although I haven't really pushed it since I haven't broken it in yet. Only redlined it once so far :lol: Definately on par if not slightly better than the early 80's Accord I owned many years ago. There's an odd delay when hitting the gas pedal which is from the electronic control. Not bad and many people don't even notice it, it's just a few milliseconds - but I won't be drag racing this car :blink: . The manual transmission is good, solid shifts and nothing bad or awkward feeling. Torque steering is not even noticable. The steering itself is a bit light at slow speed but firms up nicely at higher speeds. Its an electronic power steering rather than the usual hydraulic pump - frees up a couple of horsepower which is nice.

The suspension is pretty good - although the stock tires limit it a bit. I think lowering it and adding sway bars would make this car corner very well indeed. In stock form, the suspension is reasonably stiff without being harsh. However, even though I'm still not pushing it super hard I can feel the stock tires not being up to snuff. The wheels in the pic are aftermarket - they were half the price of the OEM alloy available and better looking too, IMHO.

The Yaris is reasonably quiet on the highway, didn't have to turn up the (stock) radio much, although the bass was starting to lose out to road noise at 110k (70mph). However, my mom was in the car so wasn't at my usual listening level ;) The CE model I have is bare bones, manual everything that can be. The seats are quite comfortable, holds me well through corners and are good for long drives - did a 2 hour trip on the second day I had it. Lots of room front and back, had a 6 foot tall friend sitting in back and he said he was surprised how much head and leg room he had.

Overall, this is one of the better cars I've owned. Not the best, but very close for comfort, as well as fit and finish. And, the performance is still reasonable for the gas economy this car has.

Overall, very good value - would say its worth more than I paid. This probably explains why there's at least a month long waiting list in Canada at pretty much any dealer. My dealer could not keep them on the lot - sold several sight unseen. I took the first available one regardless of trim level and colour (I only wanted 3door manual trans) because my old car was dying most ungracefully - and it was still almost 4 weeks to get my Yaris.

I just got mine too. I have the orange mica three door. I choose the LE model, tinted the windows and upgraded the stereo to the 6 disc in dash model. I love it!!! It was a pleasant surprise. I choose it to be a comuter car and I wanted something that was good on gas, but with the Toyota quality and something I felt safe in. I will never buy domestic again, but that's just me. I'm going to change the tires and rims next year, wait until after the snow is gone. I'm a tuner at heart, so I love that this car has so many options, even though it just came out. I had to wait about 2 months for mine, but that's a long story.

I just got mine too. I have the orange mica three door. I choose the LE model, tinted the windows and upgraded the stereo to the 6 disc in dash model. I love it!!! It was a pleasant surprise. I choose it to be a comuter car and I wanted something that was good on gas, but with the Toyota quality and something I felt safe in. I will never buy domestic again, but that's just me. I'm going to change the tires and rims next year, wait until after the snow is gone. I'm a tuner at heart, so I love that this car has so many options, even though it just came out. I had to wait about 2 months for mine, but that's a long story.

Can't wait to see one of these tuned up.

• 1 month later...

Hi from Calgary, just bought the Canadian 3door hatchback Yaris and really enjoying the car. Owned a Tercel many years ago so really like being back with Toyota.

YarisNewWheels.jpg

Hi from Ontario.

Just got a blue Yaris CE stick 3 door plus air and intermittent wipers etc. GREAT quality inside and out. On my fourth tank and not a hiccup! (I'm not amazed since I owned two "real" MR2s back in 86-88, the 88 Supercharged). Very nimble and responsive. A little "buzzy" at 120 kph (75 mph) but a true sweetheart below that. Best mileage so far (75% Highway) was 44 mpg (Canadian gallons) whereas advertised highway consumption is 51 mpg. Not bad for under 1000 miles total use. My only complaint is fifth gear should be a little longer for highway use (everybody drives 120 kph in Ontario) as the engine speed drop from four to five is less than 500 rpm at 3000. I am going to try upsizing the tires from 175/65/14 to 185/70/14 when I put summer tires back on in the spring, giving me effectively about 5% higher gearing. Kinda neat being able to drive directly into parking street parking spaces!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Probably due for your 5 year/60k service...minor tuneup, tire rotation, possibly timing belt.

Check out this link for the maintenance schedule for your car:

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php

Thank you Toyota Guru! That site is amazing.

In the cup holder for the rear passengers (Between the two front seats) there seems to be a screw cover missing. If I look directly into the cup holder I see a screw which seems to always have a red liquid on it even after trying to wipe it. Should I be concern? Is there a cover that should be on top of this?

Thank you,

Columbia Thorndale

Hmmm...not sure on that one. One of the reasons the price is so low on the Echo is that Toyota didn't spend a lot of money on interior trim. There's a strong possiblity that it's supposed to be like that. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. Worst case scenario, you may eventually have to replace the screw with another screw.

Great little car though...lots of room inside, very peppy. And I always thought that center instrument panel was pretty cool. You're probably getting some pretty fabulous gas mileage too.

No...they are set up to use regular fuel. Any upgrade in octane is really just a waste of money because you're not going to get any better mileage, the car isn't going to run any better...you're not giving your car "a treat" as I've heard people say.

No...they are set up to use regular fuel. Any upgrade in octane is really just a waste of money because you're not going to get any better mileage, the car isn't going to run any better...you're not giving your car "a treat" as I've heard people say.

I herd someone say that treat line too. Thank you I was getting mixed information.

Yet again I have a question. My car doors are frozen shut. HAs anyone had any problems with this and suggestions to mend it?

Don't wash it in the winter... :lol:

How about a remote start? Just remember to leave the heat on full blast when you turn the car off.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Greeting from Niagara Falls, Ontario. I bought my first Echo back in 2005. Loved it, but made the foolish mistake of trading it a couple years later on a Matrix. Regretted it the moment I drove off the lot. Bought my next Yaris in 2009. Loved it!! Made the mistake of letting the salesmen talk me into trading it on a 2011 Sienna, which I also loved. I ordered a 2010 Yaris because supposedly the different in payment if I traded the 2009 (which was paid for in cash) on the Sienna, would have saved me about $100 per month on the Sienna/Yaris combination.

BIG MISTAKE ... when the 2010 Yaris came in it did not have factory installed cruise. It was suppose to but Toyota at the time had some safety concern issues as I recall with the cruise control in Japan so suspended putting them on cars for a short while. I refused to take delivery. Even after the dealer offered to install an after market unit for free and throw in other goodies. I wanted factory cruise.

What comes around goes around I suppose. I now have another 2005 Echo (used) that I bought to tow behind an RV that I traded the Sienna in for. It had 127,000 KM, is manual shift and gets GREAT mileage. After 2 1/2 years I have only put 10,000 KM on it and only have one minor issue. The CEL has come on and I will have to get that resolved. I did change the gas tank filer neck, which was rusted and corroded and a new gas cap and the light went out for awhile but came back on again. Haven't got around to researching the problem yet but it still runs fine ... for now. :)

If I can get a couple more years out of it I might look at another new one in 2016 ... if the still make the Yaris. I enjoy the car and would definitely have another.

• 5 years later...

Well (new guy here) mechanic for 30+ years and to date have always owned a chevy,chrysler. junk piles until i was given a 2007 toyota yaris 338,000 and still working like new replaced 2 pressed wheel bearings brakes etc nothing major and just bought another 2005 echo same in both 1.5 ponies and can't find a better reliable car around iam now a toyota man. will not buy nothing but and even selling my 2006 HHR (17 TIMES POWER STEERING MOTOR) Needless to say the entire steering column was replaced at get this 52,000 should last until you bury the jinx but not this crap. got gm involved and all was said is ohhh we are so sorry to hear this (yeah right) then they call me 3 months later from the dealership asking me about we have a special in your area for a oil change (forsure whats a little bulk oil).

anyway just getting the feel of the site iam from Halifax Nova Scotia 

~Dave

20190421_075416.jpg

20190418_184448.jpg