HELP! P0773 SHIFT SOLENOID E(5) CURRENT FAULT

jun

I have the check engine light on continuously with trouble code P0773. It resets but comes back on after some driving. Automatic shifting from first to second seems a bit rough at times especially when cold and can also slip at times. I understand that this solenoid in inside the tranny pan. How difficult is it to remove and replace the solenoid (there are pipes obstructing them?) and where can I purchase this at a reasonable price besides the expensive dealer? Thank you very much.

I have the check engine light on continuously with trouble code P0773.  It resets but comes back on after some driving.  Automatic shifting from first to second seems a bit rough at times especially when cold and can also slip at times.  I understand that this solenoid in inside the tranny pan.  How difficult is it to remove and replace the solenoid (there are pipes obstructing them?) and where can I purchase this at a reasonable price besides the expensive dealer?  Thank you very much.

What year Camry is it? Which tranny?

You will not be pleased to know that the solenoid you probably need to replace is in the UPPER valve body, not in the lower valve body. This is not a fun job. I have always had a distaste for valve body dissasembly. If you email me and give me an email address to send the TBS page to for your 1994 Camry, I will send it to you.

You will not be pleased to know that the solenoid you probably need to replace is in the UPPER valve body, not in the lower valve body. This is not a fun job. I have always had a distaste for valve body dissasembly. If you email me and give me an email address to send the TBS page to for your 1994 Camry, I will send it to you.

Thank you for your reply.

As stated before, my Camry's auto transmission slips and hesitates when starting cold between first and second gear (between 15 - 25mph). It seems to work fine after it warms up.

After resetting, the engine light comes on not immediately but after several miles of driving (when it's running fine) with the P0773 code.

Do you know if the shift solenoid valve SL is causing this, i.e. is this an electrical problem? What does this valve do and when does it kick in? For example, is it functional at low speeds or does it kick in after highway speeds? I'd like to know if this is a solenoid problem only (OBD2 code P0773) or if they might be a more fundamental mechanical transmission problem.

Also how can I reply to you without public display of email addresses? Thanks again.

I think if you contact me through the board's contact member function, that should work. The solenoid is controlled by the ecm. But without tearing the valve body apart, I could not tell you if there is a problem with your clutch packs or what.

• 7 years later...

Hi: Need your help...

I have the same P0773 issue...

My car is 1999 Camry 4 Cyl 5A-FE engine.

What i am most interested is the TSB for the identification of the solenoids.

The TSB from the NHTSB site is dated Aug 2005, Bulletin #01005

summary states; A541E Transmission solenoid identification ( NHTSA item number 10016637)

Do you have this TSB ?

Thanks

Padaki