91 Camry DX V6 cooling problems

o1d_dude

I recently bought a 1991 Toyota Camry DX V6 automatic with 61,000 original miles but the motor appears to have been replaced...mileage unknown and probably out of another vehicle.

In the last month or so, the car has started overheating. This usually occurs after driving at highway speeds and then having to idle in traffic. The temperature guage spikes up rapidly until the I hear the fans kick in, drops back down to a reasonable range while the fans run, and then spikes back up when they stop and they don't seem to stay on very long. Applying a bit of throttle also seems to lower the temp a bit.

Radiator looks clear. I have flushed the cooling system, added new coolant, etc.

First thought was thermostat followed by fan switch. Just tonight I noticed there were two switches on the engine: one on top of the fitting where the upper radiator hose enters the engine and a second switch on the fitting where the lower hose enters what I believe to be water pump (I can't see it to be sure).

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

OD

The Switch you see by the upper radiator hose...is it actually mounted into the intake manifold? That would be your coolant temperature sensor. From what you say, it may be bad. You should be able to get one for $20 bucks.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for replying.

As you say, the switch is threaded into a fitting that feeds the upper radiator hose into the intake manifold. I take it this is the coolant temperature sensor.

What is the switch down in the lower radiator hose fitting? Is it the fan switch? Should I replace it, too?

Thanks.

OD

I would just replace the coolant temperature switch for now---there is juice running to the cooling fan, but it is coming on to some degree.

As you say, the switch is threaded into a fitting that feeds the upper radiator hose into the intake manifold. I take it this is the coolant temperature sensor.

What is the switch down in the lower radiator hose fitting? Is it the fan switch? Should I replace it, too?

Thanks.

OD