CD Changer Trouble

rfreiberg

Sometimes my CD changer, model 16824, will not ejct a disk. Because it happens infrequently, but enough to be annoying, I have not been able to recreate the situation. Inside (the car)temperature does not seem to be an issue. The upper left corner of the unit does seem warmer to the touch than the rest of the unit. When problem happens, I will push eject and nothing happens. I may drive for awhile and, mysteriously, the cd will eject on its own.

The local Toyota service dept. tried to recreate the situation, but could not (of course). One service dept. employee "seemed" to indicate that this is not an uncommon problem. The final word was they could not find a problem, and they could not take my word for it, and a new one costs $600. Also my warranty is running out.

Has anyone had, or know of this problem?

Thanks.

Sometimes my CD changer, model 16824, will not ejct a disk. Because it happens infrequently, but enough to be annoying, I have not been able to recreate the situation. Inside (the car)temperature does not seem to be an issue. The upper left corner of the unit does seem warmer to the touch than the rest of the unit. When problem happens, I will push eject and nothing happens. I may drive for awhile and, mysteriously, the cd will eject on its own.

The local Toyota service dept. tried to recreate the situation, but could not (of course). One service dept. employee "seemed" to indicate that this is not an uncommon problem. The final word was they could not find a problem, and they could not take my word for it, and a new one costs $600. Also my warranty is running out.

Thanks.

I had a CD player that wouldn't play until the car warmed up in the winter, and would automatically eject the CD after a few minutes. I feel your pain! And it happens a lot when people bring their cars in for an intermittent problem that can't be duplicated by the dealership. It has nothing to do with the dealer, it just seems be a Murphy's Law type thing.

Anyway, try calling Toyota corporate and opening a case. You'll probably get some help that way towards getting it replaced. I don't remember the phone number, but it's probably in your owner's manuals somewhere (the one with the lemon law info should have it).

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks.

I am a new member. I had a similar problem on my CD changer. I removed the unit and took it to

http://www.sotelectronics.com/ in Concord, CA, an authorized Delphi audio service center. They

repaired it for about $200 in 2004. I have had no problems since.