TomTom 3 Navigator Review

fidgits

We've all been there, whether its an argument about which way you should have turned at a junction, or the age old question "what is it about men and asking for directions!?".. there is a solution....

OEM Sat Nav systems, while solving this problem, also do a fine job of removing a large portion of hard earned cash from your pocket...

Well, there is a solution, which will stop you having to ask for directions, and bring an end to those little disagreements when it comes to map reading...

I have the TomTom Bluetooth Navigator, which runs on my IPaq 1945. The GPS unit and software cost 199, with the original TomTom cradle for my specific IPaq costing a further 50 (optional).

So, today I set off on a journey, with only an end address, and no idea where, or how to get to the address, relying soley on the system....

Firstly, the fact it runs on my IPaq is very useful, already having one meant there was no need to shell out for a dedicated piece of hardware. The cradle comes with various fitting options, and holds well, with little vibration.

The bluetooth unit was hidden away in my JDM dash tray...

So, how did it perform, well I got there, and on time.. and it made driving easier AND safer.. although the display is small, it is clear and easy to read. The 3D view gives a good idea on perspective. The voice commands meant there was no need to have to read a map, or printed directions, allowing you to just concentrate on driving.

The main display is the 3D map, with addtional information below, showing the next turn, how far to that turn, current speed, time to destination and expected arrival time.

The voice commands and clear, and well timed (varies according to speed).

Inputting the address was simple, just insert the first 4 digits of the postcode, and select from a list. You can also choose a POI (point of interest), such as hotel or airport, and it will take you there.

It also was very fast at calculating the route, and re-routes almost instantly! After calculating the route, it will switch into map mode, to show you the whole journey, before changing into the navigation mode.

It will plan the best route when you have multiple stops, and can route around areas you would like to avoid due to traffic jams and road works.

If your planned route passes through the London Congestion Charging Zone it will prompt you if you would like to an plan alternative around the zone, if at all possible, if not it still tells you that you are going to pass through it.

However, the real benifit is the flexibility, you can change from the UK map to European, or US (depending on what maps you have), you can download databases, such as 'Speed camera locations' and combined with a POI warning, it can also act as a GPS camera detector.

The big buttons make it easy to change settings while on the move (e.g. switch off the voice directions, re-route around traffic).

All in all, i was very impressed, it is a very slick system, and took the stress out of going somewhere i had never been, and allowed me to sit back and enjoy the drive...

• 1 month later...

Right, the new toy arrived yesterday and I have to say that I'm really impressed so far. Like JJ I have Tomtom Navigator 3 installed on a Mio 168 so I only have the one unit rather than the spiders web of cabling that seems necessary otherwise (yes, even with the Bluetooth receivers...)

I've tested the unit in and around the metropolis that is Inverness and, apart from some of the mapping being a little out of date, I can only praise it. The instructions on the screen are clear and in good time, the voice prompts are clear and concise without being bossy and the unit re-routes really quickly when you wilfully ignore it.

In the past I've occasionally used a Garmin StreetPilotIII for similar trips and the Tomtom system is far superior. Sure, the system isn't as smart or as smooth as the system in my father's BMW, but then it was a quarter of the price of that system and two-thirds of the price of the Garmin so I give it a pretty good 4 stars out of 5 :thumbsup:

Alan

PS Have also installed Microsoft PocketStreets too - it should help when I'm lost of foot in strange European cities too!

You can also add in the UK Speed Camera database Alan :P as well as a Full Postcode lookup program ;)

Great little systems. I love mine.

It has given me much more confidence in going places by myself whereas before I reckon I would have got lost :P now its easy to navigate to or from anywhere! :P