proud new owner of 1978 corolla

dj brown

• 3 months later...

Cool!!!!

I used to own a 78 corolla. Is yours the liftback with 175/70R13 oe tire size, 5 speed ? mine was. That year they didnt call it an SR5, but it more or less was . I got 425,000 miles out of mine before it died. The biggest performance mod I made was a very open exhaust syspem. It took a little low end out, but There wasnt much I couldnt do at higher RPM's. I custom built a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with no muffler, and only a shorty glasspack/tip at the back. WOW did it sound cool!!! It sounded a lot bigger than a 2tc motor and didn't have that ratty sound that most 4 cyl's w/ large exhaust have. . Does yours have electronic ignition? If not, converting to it will help Let me know if you need any other advice on it.

Smitty

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!!!!

I used to own a 78 corolla. Is yours the liftback with 175/70R13 oe tire size, 5 speed ? mine was. That year they didnt call it an SR5, but it more or less was . I got 425,000 miles out of mine before it died. The biggest performance mod I made was a very open exhaust syspem. It took a little low end out, but There wasnt much I couldnt do at higher RPM's. I custom built a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with no muffler, and only a shorty glasspack/tip at the back. WOW did it sound cool!!! It sounded a lot bigger than a 2tc motor and didn't have that ratty sound that most 4 cyl's w/ large exhaust have. . Does yours have electronic ignition? If not, converting to it will help Let me know if you need any other advice on it.

Smitty

Toyota Corolla SR5 was up and running in 1978. It was called the SR5, too. I've still got mine, SR5 decals and all.

Toyota Corolla SR5 was up and running in 1978. It was called the SR5, too. I've still got mine, SR5 decals and all.

The Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe first hit the market in 1976.

• 1 year later...

My 78 Corolla SR5 is a five-speed coupe. She still runs great. I've got a storeroom filled with archived after market parts. A couple months ago her clutch master cylinder went out. No problem. I wish I could get my hands on a rubber rear window seal. I saw one advertised in Australia but I figured it was probably no better than the one she's wearing.