Popping noise

Fyrwall

After talking with the person at the Toyota customer assistance line, I was told it is Toyota's position to replace the shaft per the TSB. He opened a "call#", and said he would call the dealer. I should hear from the customer relations manager in 3-5 days.

The customer relations manager from the dealership called me, and asked me what my problem was(like he didn't know after talking with Toyota). I told him that the rep from Toyota had said their position was to replace the shaft per the TSB, and I wanted it replaced, not just lubed. He said Toyota would have to authorize it, even though the TSB said it was covered under the 3yr-36,000 mile warranty, if the customer complained. I reminded him the Toyota rep said their position was to replace it per the TSB. He still said he would have to call Toyota to get it authorized, and, if they did, he would call me to make an appointment to bring it in. If Toyota did not authorize it, he would have them call me to tell me so. I don't understand why the Toyota rep would not have told him it was authorized, when he talked to him, since they told me their position was to replace it under the TSB. :huh:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I would have left the dealership right then and there and not let them grease up the shaft.

After waiting for 8 days, and not hearing from the customer relation's mgr, I called Toyota again. After the rep reviewed everything that had gone on, she asked if I really wanted to take my car back to that same dealer, and I said no. She opened up a new "call#" , and sent a msg to the customer relation's mgr at the other dealer in town, explaining what has gone on, and asking her to call me. I received a call the next day, and we setup an appointment to have the shaft replaced. I asked her to check and make sure one was in stock. She called back later, indicating they had one, and put it on hold for me. The next week, I took my car in to have the shaft replaced. When I checked in, the service advisor said his computer indicated a shaft wsa on hold for me, and the replacement would take 1.5-2 hrs. When I went to the waiting room, they had free coffee and pastries. The other dealership had a brand new building with a movie-like snack bar, selling a small cup of coffee for $1.05+tax! They replaced the shaft (I had marked the old one,so I know) in 2 hrs, and didn't try to sell me any other service. At the first dealership, after they had my car 1.5 hrs, the service advisor came up and wanted to sell me new tires(they had measured the depth of all of them), new wiper blades(they streaked the windshield because it had many bugs on it),and clean and adjust the rear brakes(self-adjusting drums), before starting anty work for the reported problem. Then she said all Toyota authorized was lubing the shaft. For your info, I didn't buy the car at either dealership. Interestingly, the TV ad for the first dealership always ends with" *dealer name*, THE NAME YOU CAN TRUST". I get upset everytime I see it! I have learned, it pays to call the Toyota 800 number in your warranty book , and complain about bad service. Jim

• 8 months later...
Just to update and share my experiences.

The special parts came in earlier and I brought the car back to the dealership. They replace the part and the noise seems to be gone and the steering at low speed definitly got smoother. I will keep observing it for a while to make sure it is fixed completely.

For information, the job journal listed the replaced part is FP# 45220-33260. I asked them to save the worn part so I can inspect it but they did not. I asked them if the lower steering shaft is the same as the intermediate steering shaft and was told they are (I am still not quite convienced). The person at the parts department showed me a drawing on computer screen saying based on the parts number (45220), it is the whole things. I can't be 100% sure they got all the affected parts replaced or not. Keep my finger crossed that they did a good job and got it right.

To my disappointment, I have to go to the dealer for this issue three times. They should recognize the issue the first time when I was there. To make matter even worse, after they replaced the part, although the original noise was gone, during the test drive right after I picked up the car, I found there was squzing noise come from the steering horn pad. Went back to they immediately. They managed to fix it in 3 hours which is better than the worst I came to expect.

Anyway, my 2003 Camry LE seems to have quite a lot issues with the steering system. Besides this one, it also required prior visit to the dealship for sequeezing noise come from the steering shaft which they applied lubricants to fix it under warranty.

The 36month warranty has expired. Hope this is the end of the issues with the car for a while.

I am wondering if anyone who had the new part (as specified in the TSB ST001-06) installed and then found the problem re-occure?

After having my part replaced under warranty, the problem soon re-occured. Initially very faint, so I decided not to bother with it and it might be difficult to convience the dealer to perform another repair. Now, the problem is about as bad as it was before the repair.

I just learned that there was a new TSB. To my surprise, the new "improved" part is the same as the one I received during my initial warranty repair which happened before the release of the TSB.

Now my Camry already outside the warranty period. I am very concerned with this problem. Anyone can share some experience?

Thanks.

BTW, I have the PDF for the TSB but could not update as an attachment. Here is the text:

Toyota Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 5

ST001-06

Title:

STEERING INTERMEDIATE

SHAFT NOISE

Models:

03 - 06 Camry, 04 - 05 Highlander, &

04 - 06 Solara,

Technical Service

BULLETIN

February 16, 2006

TSB REVISION NOTICE:

S July 20, 2006: 2004 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles have been added to

Applicable Vehicles. Production change effective VINs for the Highlander have been

added to the Production Change Information table. The Parts Information has been

updated to include the Highlander.

Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.

Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning the steering

wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this concern.

Intermediate Shaft

Steering Column

S 2003 - 2006 model year Camry vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change

Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

S 2004 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles produced BEFORE the Production

Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

S 2004 - 2006 model year Solara vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change

Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

OP CODE DESCRIPTION MODEL TIME OFP T1 T2

R & R S i

Camry 0.9 45220-33200

ST4007

teerng

Intermediate Shaft

Solara 0.9 45220-33240 91 19 Highlander 0.9 45220-48130

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in

effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicles

in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customers specific complaint.

STEERING

Introduction

Applicable

Vehicles

Warranty

Information

STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT NOISE - ST001-06 Revised February 16, 2006

Page 2 of 5

MODEL PLANT ENGINE PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN

4-cyl JTDBE3#K#53040321

Tsutsumi

V6

JTDBF3#K#50167507

JTDBA3#K#50026148

4 cyl

4T1BE3*K#6U149463

Camry

-4T1BE3*K#6U718586 TMMK

4T1BF3*K#6U118180

V6

4T1BA3*K#6U510905

4T1BF3*K#6U632175

4T1BA3*K#6U093077

JTEDD21A#50131436

4 cyl

JTEGD21A#50131439

-JTEED21A#50039951

Highlander TMK

JTEHD21A#50039951

JTEDP21A#50090114

V6

JTEGP21A#50090107

JTEEP21A#50134778

JTEHP21A#50134927

Solara TMMK

4-cyl 4T1CE3*P#6U718267

V6 4T1*A3*P#6U093577

PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER MODEL PART NAME QTY

45220-33200

45220 33260

Camry

I di Sh f

45220-33240

-Solara ntermeate at

Assembly

45220-48130 45220-48150 Highlander

NOTE:

The intermediate shaft assembly identified in this TSB for Camry models can be used

on both Japan and NAP built vehicles.

Production

Change

Information

Parts

Information

Page 2 of 5

MODEL PLANT ENGINE PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN

4-cyl JTDBE3#K#53040321

Tsutsumi

V6

JTDBF3#K#50167507

JTDBA3#K#50026148

4 cyl

4T1BE3*K#6U149463

Camry

-4T1BE3*K#6U718586 TMMK

4T1BF3*K#6U118180

V6

4T1BA3*K#6U510905

4T1BF3*K#6U632175

4T1BA3*K#6U093077

JTEDD21A#50131436

4 cyl

JTEGD21A#50131439

-JTEED21A#50039951

Highlander TMK

JTEHD21A#50039951

JTEDP21A#50090114

V6

JTEGP21A#50090107

JTEEP21A#50134778

JTEHP21A#50134927

Solara TMMK

4-cyl 4T1CE3*P#6U718267

V6 4T1*A3*P#6U093577

PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER MODEL PART NAME QTY

45220-33200

45220 33260

Camry

I di Sh f

45220-33240

-Solara ntermeate at

Assembly

45220-48130 45220-48150 Highlander

NOTE:

The intermediate shaft assembly identified in this TSB for Camry models can be used

on both Japan and NAP built vehicles.

Production

Change

Information

Parts

Information

Page 3 of 5

Prior to removing the steering intermediate shaft, make sure the steering wheel and front

wheels remain stationary. Once the intermediate shaft is removed, do NOT allow the

steering wheel to spin freely.

NOTE:

Ensure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is centered before removing the

steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly by installing a steering wheel holder.

1. Disconnect the steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

A. Loosen the bolt and remove the

clamp from the steering column

hole cover boot.

B. Separate the steering column

hole cover from the steering

column hole cover boot.

C. Place matchmarks on the steering

intermediate shaft sub-assembly

and steering gear assembly.

D. Remove the bolt and disconnect

the steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

2. Remove the steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

A. Place matchmarks on the steering

sliding yoke sub-assembly and

steering main shaft assembly.

B. Remove the bolt and steering

sliding yoke sub-assembly from

the steering main shaft assembly.

Repair

Procedure

Bolt

Matchmarks

Matchmarks

Steering Main Shaft

Page 4 of 5

3. Place the corresponding matchmarks on the NEW steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

To place the matchmarks on the NEW steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly,

place a NEW steering intermediate shaft next to the original steering intermediate

shaft assembly (removed in the previous step) and transfer those matchmarks to the

same locations on the NEW steering intermediate shaft.

Original Steering

Intermediate Shaft

New Steering

Intermediate Shaft

4. Install the NEW steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

A. Align the matchmark with the one

on the steering sliding yoke

sub-assembly and the steering

main shaft assembly.

B. Install the steering sliding yoke

sub-assembly with the bolt.

Torque: 35.3 NSm (360 kgfScm,

26 ftSlbf)

5. Connect the steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly.

A. Align the matchmarks on the

steering intermediate shaft

sub-assembly and the steering

gear assembly.

B. Install the steering intermediate

shaft sub-assembly with the bolt.

Torque: 35.3 NSm (360 kgfScm,

26 ftSlbf)

Repair

Procedure

(Continued)

Matchmarks

Steering Main Shaft

Matchmarks

Page 5 of 5

C. Install the steering column

hole cover to the steering hole

cover boot.

D. Connect the clamp to the steering

column hole cover boot and

tighten the bolt.

6. Remove the steering wheel holder

from the vehicle (if used).

7. Road test the vehicle to verify the

repair and confirm that the steering

wheel is centered.

Repair

Procedure

(Continued)

Bolt

• 3 months later...

Hey guys: Got a knocking sound in the steering on my '05 Solara too. Did some research on Alldata. There's a TSB on a revised intermediate shaft for the steering. It's supposed to be done by the dealer under basic warranty ONLY if the consumer complains. My car is out of warranty so they want over $400 to change the shaft. No word on whether it's anything more than annoying. I'm going to look into it. Changing the shaft is about an hour and a half job. Part's about $200. If you know what to do with the mechanisms of the car, pick up a shop manual, go to your library and connect to Alldata, assuming your library has a subscription to it, and download the TSB instructions. Chnaging the shaft is supposed to remove the various clunking, knocking etc. Good luck.