Popping noise

Fyrwall

TSBs are not warranty issues to begin with. They are "secret recalls" advising a dealership how to fix a particular problem the best way. But they are called "secret recals" in events such as follows:.......the manufacturer discovers a constant recurring problem on a particular car. let's say, for example, the radiator caps keep going bad prematurely. So you might get a flyer from the dealership saying, "Hi Mr Smith our good customer: it's customer appreciation day. Bring your Corolla in for an oil change for $5 for your good patronage". Then, while you are in the waiting room watching TV or reading the Wall Street Journal, they are busy replacing your radiator cap.

So what was that TSB number?

Hi there..

I have a  2003 LE Camry with popping-like noise in the steering column when I am turning.. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the noise is now gone ..I haven't heard the steering column noise anymore...

The repair was done under warranty as the warranty is 3 years or 60000 km and my car was within the warranty period..... I don't know if there is a TSB for 2004 Camry with similar problem??  I don't know how you can find out if TSB is out for 2004....maybe Stevelaw knows, since he mentioned that TSBs were out before...

Are TSB's covered by the manufacturers regardless of warranty period?????

Does anyone know this for sure???

STEVELAW:: How do you find out about TSB's????....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Stevelaw for the reply. The TSB I suspect to be related with our problems is TSB # ST002R-04 FEB 05 . I drive a 2004 Camry SE and I'm just wondering if it applies to my car.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards.

Jeff

:unsure:

TSBs are not warranty issues to begin with. They are "secret recalls" advising a dealership how to fix a particular problem the best way. But they are called "secret recals" in events such as follows:.......the manufacturer discovers a constant recurring problem on a particular car. let's say, for example, the radiator caps keep going bad prematurely. So you might get a flyer from the dealership saying, "Hi Mr Smith our good customer: it's customer appreciation day. Bring your Corolla in for an oil change for $5 for your good patronage". Then, while you are in the waiting room watching TV or reading the Wall Street Journal, they are busy replacing your radiator cap.

So what was that TSB number?

JEFF: I GOT IT--IT'S NINE PAGES LONG. Give me an email address to send the pages to.  I also just got a hold of a lot of other TSB diagrams.

:!:  :!:  :!:

Thanls Stevelaw.

I sent you a message using PM function. I'm anxious to see the content of the TSB you got. If you have hard time reaching me with the adress I gave you, please advise using this forum.

Thanks again.

You're the man!

Jeff

;)

Hi there..

I have a  2003 LE Camry with popping-like noise in the steering column when I am turning.. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the noise is now gone ..I haven't heard the steering column noise anymore...

Hi carlearner,

I have a 2003 Camry LE which has very similar prolem as you initially described: i.e. when I drive at very low speed (such as in parking lot without pressing the gas paddle as all) and wiggle the steering wheel from left to right, I can hear a knocking sound and feel the knock transmit to the steering wheel. It also happens at such speed when make turns such as doing a paralle parking.

I have taken the car to the dealer twice so far. Last time, they told me it is normal. After a week, the problem seems to got worse. I brought the car in for a second time today and did test drive. It is definitly more obvious today. They just called me and said they have place an order for a lower steering shaft which they suspect is the cause of the problem

I know yours seem to be fixed by replacing an intermediate steering shaft. So is "Intermediate steering shaft" and "Lower steering shaft" the same? Or are they connected to each other in someway?

I am not sure how to suggest to the dealer that maybe they should also order the "Intermediate steering shaft" just in case.

I am very close to the end of the 36month warranty period. Anyone know if Toyota will cover a problem discovered during the warranty period but not fully addressed within the warranty period?

Thanks.

OK. You need to start creating a paper trail here while you are still in warranty. Start setting appointments, one of two, specifically forthe purpose of having the dealer look at your car for this exact problem. Fax the dealership a confirmation letter for each appointment and keep the "transmission successful" sheet. Whatever the result of the service appointment turns out to be, fax them a summary/thanks for looking at my car letter. Then we go up the food chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update and share my experiences.

The special parts came in earlier and I brought the car back to the dealership. They replace the part and the noise seems to be gone and the steering at low speed definitly got smoother. I will keep observing it for a while to make sure it is fixed completely.

For information, the job journal listed the replaced part is FP# 45220-33260. I asked them to save the worn part so I can inspect it but they did not. I asked them if the lower steering shaft is the same as the intermediate steering shaft and was told they are (I am still not quite convienced). The person at the parts department showed me a drawing on computer screen saying based on the parts number (45220), it is the whole things. I can't be 100% sure they got all the affected parts replaced or not. Keep my finger crossed that they did a good job and got it right.

To my disappointment, I have to go to the dealer for this issue three times. They should recognize the issue the first time when I was there. To make matter even worse, after they replaced the part, although the original noise was gone, during the test drive right after I picked up the car, I found there was squzing noise come from the steering horn pad. Went back to they immediately. They managed to fix it in 3 hours which is better than the worst I came to expect.

Anyway, my 2003 Camry LE seems to have quite a lot issues with the steering system. Besides this one, it also required prior visit to the dealship for sequeezing noise come from the steering shaft which they applied lubricants to fix it under warranty.

The 36month warranty has expired. Hope this is the end of the issues with the car for a while.

Thanks for the update. The dealer will repair mine tomorrow and since my warranty is expired, I really hope this is the end. I will ask them the keep the worn part (always do this) just to make sure.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. The dealer will repair mine tomorrow and since my warranty is expired, I really hope this is the end. I will ask them the keep the worn part (always do this) just to make sure.

I'll keep you posted.

Good luck! And as you've tried to get this fixed while it was under warranty, try to get handled this last time under warranty too. It's worth a shot!

See my previous post for those having steering issues, on the topic of Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid. I am the guinea pig for the board running the stuff right now. I can say the power steering pump is quieter now, at least to some degree.

• 1 month later...

Hello Frywall, I also have a Toyota Camry XLE 2004. I just started noticing a "pop" when I turn the wheel. It happens mostly when I am driving at slow speeds. If I make a small adjustment to my steering, the pop usually happens right when I stop moving the steering wheel. It's very strange and very subtle... I thought maybe I just didn't notice it before, but it has become annoying. Please contact me and let me know your thoughts.

I am new on this site, so hello everyone. I hope my posting conforms to the usual protocol around here.

Im driving a 2004 Camry LE and just recently I started hearing a popping noise every time I turn the wheel, I took it to the dealer and they said that it was normal. Well, it seems to be getting worse, does anyone know of the same problem? Thanks

Hi everyone. I took my 04 Solara to the dealership for numerous problems. The popping sound in the steering wheel was one of them and my other issue was my tires needing to be replaced when I only have 24,500 miles on the car. I was told that a part was ordered for my vehicle to fix the popping sound. After not hearing back from Toyota after two weeks I called to find out what part had been ordered. As of yesterday, I was informed that a new steering shaft had been ordered but that Toyota has no idea when it will be in. It seems that there is a huge waiting list for this part and it's all Camry & Solara owners waiting. I guess Toyota has thousands of people waiting for new steering columns although I was assured its not a safety issue. I was informed that my tires being almost bald was just because of an alignment issue and it could happen with any car but after research I found that Toyota is well aware of a vehicle pull/drift problem. Am I the only person who thinks that a steering column issue and alignment problem could very well be linked even though Toyota informed me it wasn't? I don't think I should have to pay for new tires on a car with less than 25,000 miles.

Hi everyone. I took my 04 Solara to the dealership for numerous problems. The popping sound in the steering wheel was one of them and my other issue was my tires needing to be replaced when I only have 24,500 miles on the car. I was told that a part was ordered for my vehicle to fix the popping sound. After not hearing back from Toyota after two weeks I called to find out what part had been ordered. As of yesterday, I was informed that a new steering shaft had been ordered but that Toyota has no idea when it will be in. It seems that there is a huge waiting list for this part and it's all Camry & Solara owners waiting. I guess Toyota has thousands of people waiting for new steering columns although I was assured its not a safety issue. I was informed that my tires being almost bald was just because of an alignment issue and it could happen with any car but after research I found that Toyota is well aware of a vehicle pull/drift problem. Am I the only person who thinks that a steering column issue and alignment problem could very well be linked even though Toyota informed me it wasn't? I don't think I should have to pay for new tires on a car with less than 25,000 miles.

The tires and steering column issue could be related...but it's also not unusual for the tires to wear out in only 25,000 miles. The original factory installed tires on Toyota cars are a softer compound made for better handling, less road noise, etc. Unfortunately, they wear out faster too. You have to make a choice: longer tire life, or a really good combination of low road noise/handling.

You should be happy with 25k - my Supra tires wore out in only 17k!

I am starting to become concerned that this issue is going to become an pandemic situation. This post is getting long, and that's OK, because we are making people aware of the problem. TOY USA needs to take a better look at what is going on here. I think there ought to be a TSB on it. Let's all stick together on this because a visitor to the site might need documentation on this matter as their warranty is about to run out.

I am starting to become concerned that this issue is going to become an pandemic situation. This post is getting long, and that's OK, because we are making people aware of the problem. TOY USA needs to take a better look at what is going on here. I think there ought to be a TSB on it. Let's all stick together on this because a visitor to the site might need documentation on this matter as their warranty is about to run out.

TSB ST001-06 seems to cover this exact issue. Title is "Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise" and covers the '03-'06 Camrys and '04-'06 Solaras (there's a specific VIN range mentioned).

Description: Some customers may hear a clunk, pop or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this concern.

It's covered under the Comprehenmsive Warranty (36 months of 36,000 miles). In case somebody is out of warranty and their dealer refuses to cooperate, the new part number is 45220-33260.

Brad.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Its the u-joint connecting the steering column to the rack and pinion box located between the firewall and rear of the engine. If you soak the joint with penetrating oil, you will see some temporary improvement. I have yet to get a dealer to replace the part yet. This problem is covered by the following Service bulletin:

ST001-06 Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise

2/16/2006 - 2003 – 2006 model year Camry vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB. 2004 – 2006 model year Solara vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this concern.

Please post if you have success in getting it repaired! Later.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem with my Toyota Camry 04 XLE. Popping noise in steering at slow speeds . . . was told it was the intermediate steering shaft. My problem is that I have 52k miles on the car and it's out of warranty. Also I was told the part is on 8 weeks back order. This is really frustrating, especially since Toyota know this to be a pervasic problem.

I have the exact same problem with my Toyota Camry 04 XLE. Popping noise in steering at slow speeds . . . was told it was the intermediate steering shaft. My problem is that I have 52k miles on the car and it's out of warranty. Also I was told the part is on 8 weeks back order. This is really frustrating, especially since Toyota know this to be a pervasic problem.

OK. Just got off the phone with Toyota. They know it's a problem and they are willing to split cost 50/50 with me. $400 is the total; so I will pay $200. I guess that's better than nothing, but I still think Toyota should stick it to the supplier of the part, not me! Who would the supplier be? Is it GKN?

Even though your car is out of warranty, you may be able to get some assistance from Toyota as they seem to know it's an issue. Talk to your dealer, or call the 1-800 number in your owner's manual to see if you get some help from corporate. You probably won't get it paid for, but you might get some of it taken care of.

Sorry...disregard my above post. I didn't see that you'd already gotten them to take care of half. Did you talk to the dealer or to corporate to get that 50% off?

• 4 months later...

I took my 2004 Camry in to the local dealer two days ago with this problem. I showed them a copy of the TSB, and said I wanted the shaft replaced under warranty (30394 miles on car) as the TSB indicated. After waiting 90 minutes, the service advisor came back with a list of other services she wanted to sell me: oil change, new wipers(left streaks because bugs on windshield), clean and adjust rear brakes(self-adjusting drums),and three new tires(they even had the tread depth). After declining, I was told that "TOYOTA" only authorized them to lube the sliding shaft, not replace it, and it would take one hour(they hadn't started yet. I protested, referencing the TSB, to no avail. They packed the split shaft with silicone grease, and the noise has gone away. I think it was to get me through the rest of the warranty. I will call Toyota to protest

I took my 2004 Camry in to the local dealer two days ago with this problem. I showed them a copy of the TSB, and said I wanted the shaft replaced under warranty (30394 miles on car) as the TSB indicated. After waiting 90 minutes, the service advisor came back with a list of other services she wanted to sell me: oil change, new wipers(left streaks because bugs on windshield), clean and adjust rear brakes(self-adjusting drums),and three new tires(they even had the tread depth). After declining, I was told that "TOYOTA" only authorized them to lube the sliding shaft, not replace it, and it would take one hour(they hadn't started yet. I protested, referencing the TSB, to no avail. They packed the split shaft with silicone grease, and the noise has gone away. I think it was to get me through the rest of the warranty. I will call Toyota to protest

After talking with the person at the Toyota customer assistance line, I was told it is Toyota's position to replace the shaft per the TSB. He opened a "call#", and said he would call the dealer. I should hear from the customer relations manager in 3-5 days.