Popping noise

Fyrwall

Im driving a 2004 Camry LE and just recently I started hearing a popping noise every time I turn the wheel, I took it to the dealer and they said that it was normal. Well, it seems to be getting worse, does anyone know of the same problem? Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could be Ball Joint, or CV Joint or worn calipers...

Does it pop when you have the steering wheel on full lock??

Full Lock?? Not sure, I did notice yesterday it sometimes happens when I hit the brake. How could this be caused by worn-out calipers, the car only has 22.000 miles? Does the rack and pinion assembly need to be greased periodically? Thanks

Does it happen only when you turn in one direction or both directions?

Full Lock?? Not sure, I did notice yesterday it sometimes happens when I hit the brake. How could this be caused by worn-out calipers, the car only has 22.000 miles? Does the rack and pinion assembly need to be greased periodically? Thanks

Let the people in this forum know if you have a bad CV joint, OK?

STEVE

I have a 2003 Camry with about 30000 miles with a similar problem, ...and when I turn the wheel one direction a half turn left and then turn it right back a dull thud sound occurs, the sound seems to occur on one side only...... I think it is the steering rack & pinion system loose play?... I will see what the dealer says tomorrow and report back...

I just bought a 2004 Camry ~34000 miles. I have the same problem with the popping noise which I not only can hear but feel through the steering wheel. It occurs more when the car has warmed up, when steering over uneven ground, when accelerating from a stop, etc.

Any suggestions or answers. :!:

I am curious to see what Fyrwall says when he lets us know. (re: CV joint)

I just bought a 2004 Camry ~34000 miles. I have the same problem with the popping noise which I not only can hear but feel through the steering wheel. It occurs more when the car has warmed up, when steering over uneven ground, when accelerating from a stop, etc.

Any suggestions or answers. :!:

I have a 2003 Camry with about 30000 miles with a similar problem, ...and when I turn the wheel one direction a half turn left and then turn it right back a dull thud sound occurs, the sound seems to occur on one side only...... I think it is the steering rack & pinion system loose play?... I will see what the dealer says tomorrow and report back...

Carlearner, I have not had a chance to get back to the dealer yet. What's the word on yours? I feel my dealer may be trying to avoid this repair, perhaps too costly.

Thanks

There is  a possibility of a CV joint problem here, especially since you say it happens more when turning one way.

Well I took my 2003 Camry to the dealer to check up the dull thud I hear from the steering column when turning and jocking the car during parking......The dealer said it's the intermediate steering shaft and has ordered one for replacement....they say it's under warranty ...I hope it solves the problem, and not add more.. I will let yous know the results.. :o

UPDATE: TSB'S: Toyota released two Technical Service Bulletins on 2002-2003 Camry's. First, steering wheel noise while turning--ST002-03 2003 Camry, second, front suspension knock or thump--SU001-03. So this should apply to all the 2002-2004 Camry's.

Carlearner, I have not had a chance to get back to the dealer yet. What's the word on yours? I feel my dealer may be trying to avoid this repair, perhaps too costly.

Thanks

UPDATE:  TSB'S: Toyota released two Technical Service Bulletins on 2002-2003 Camry's. First, steering wheel noise while turning--ST002-03 2003 Camry, second, front suspension knock or thump--SU001-03. So this should apply to all the 2002-2004 Camry's.

Stevelaw :

Do you know what is the cause of the front suspension knock, because I think I also heard that noise when I go up the driveway. By the way how did you find out if there are TSB's out ???

• 2 weeks later...

Well Folks the word is in. I went back to the dealer for the second time regarding the noise coming from the steering wheel and as with the 2003 model Camry the steering column (shaft) turned out to be the culprit. Funny thing is they didn’t need to even test drive the car, they all ready knew what the problem was...it would have been nice if they would have fixed it the first time through and saved me the run around. However, hopefully this will resolve the problem. Thanks to all in helping to diagnose this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can only make an educated guess. It could be a CV joint, you could have lost a bushing somewhere.

As for TSBs, I have an Alldata membership. So I can find these things out. Worth every penny when trying to get a dealership to cover a warranty item they do not wish to remedy.

Stevelaw :

Do you know what is the cause of the front suspension knock, because I think I also heard that noise when I go up the driveway.  By the way how did you find out if there are TSB's out ???

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I just discovered, after a visit to the dealer, that my rack & pinions assembly is worn out (!!!). The sterring is gripping and shaking. I'm at 45,000 miles (SE 2004 - got it in Feb 04) and the car is no longer covered by the warranty. I've been a Toyota customer for a long time and first time I didn't buy the extra care warranty since it is a quality symbol (After a quick search and goin' thru the forum, it seems like there is a TSB (TSB002R-04 feb 05) and I'm wondering if it covers the Camry SE 2004. Did an inspection just before the warranty expired and didn't have incident or bumping before or since then.

Anyone can help?

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi there..

I have a 2003 LE Camry with popping-like noise in the steering column when I am turning.. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the noise is now gone ..I haven't heard the steering column noise anymore...

The repair was done under warranty as the warranty is 3 years or 60000 km and my car was within the warranty period..... I don't know if there is a TSB for 2004 Camry with similar problem?? I don't know how you can find out if TSB is out for 2004....maybe Stevelaw knows, since he mentioned that TSBs were out before...

Are TSB's covered by the manufacturers regardless of warranty period?????

Does anyone know this for sure???

STEVELAW:: How do you find out about TSB's????....