Jacks and jack stands

uraca

Any suggestions for where to put a hydraulic floor jack for front and/or rear jacking. Also looking for ideas of where to place jack stands. Haynes seems to recommend the frame for jack stands.

I used the jack under the place indicated for the jack that came with the car. It seems to put a good bit of pressure on that strip of metal that inserts in the car jack.

Thanks.

I would not place it where the manufacturer states unless you are using the jack that comes with the car.. the one that comes with the car is designed to fit on that strip.

I dont have a corolla so I am unsure where to advise, but i would look for a jacking area near the wheel area.

• 2 weeks later...
I would not place it where the manufacturer states unless you are using the jack that comes with the car.. the one that comes with the car is designed to fit on that strip.

I dont have a corolla so I am unsure where to advise, but i would look for a jacking area near the wheel area.

Thanks for the reply from Steve.

Have used the side area designated by the owner's manual a few times now and despite the strip running along the edge, it seems to work well. It does not bend the strip.

Have been putting the jack stands along the frame that runs from front to rea and is about 1 foot inside the jack points.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I can speak from authority on this. Just tell me what year your Corolla is. And this is a "bottle jack", correct?

I just used a floor jack under my center member, that support trans, I don't know if this is recommended or not, anyone want to chime in?, but it sure jack my car straight up, and then I put jack stands where the factory jack connects to the rail, which did work well for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm rotating my tires for the first time on my 2006 Corolla. I am reluctant to place jack stands beside the factory-indicated jacking positions on the rail for fear of bending the rail. Has anyone bent the rail doing what I am reluctant to do?

I am considering placing the stands as follows:

Front On the steel plate where the suspension is bolted to the chassis.

Back On the steel C-shaped beam running width -wise, that partially encloses the axle.

Do those placements make sense? Thanks.

YUP---that's the same way I would do it. Thanks for bringing that info to the club.

Thanks, stevelaw, for the quick response. I love my new Corolla CE. I'm averaging 37 mpg on my daily 165 mile commute from Orem to Fayette, Utah on the I-15 and State 28. I've put 6500 miles on it during my first 7 weeks of ownership.

• 2 years later...

I've jacked using the center beam the only trouble is that the jack slips forward sometimes. I put my stands either in the holes on the "sway bar" or where they connect to the frame with no problems. If the car would bend on it's own weight on the suspension then I wouldn't want to drive it..

• 14 years later...

The first time that I tried using the scissors jack that came with my 2005 Camry, the damn thing BENT on me!  I had to call  the auto club to co me change a flat tire,  After THAT, I did NOT screw around - i went out, and bought a floor jack sold by Sears ( I guess the you are out of luck now.)  They are NOT that heavy, and are well made (Just don't buy the CHINESIUM crap from  places like Harbor Freight).  I believe that the last time that I used it, I placed the jack at the location recommended in the owner's manual.  I did not have any problems.

I was VERY ANGRY about the jack breaking on me. I took numerous photos, and emailed them with a note to Toyota ... and heard NOTHING back from them! (Thanks ALOT, Toyota) .   I like my car, and it has served me well for many years with few problems.  YES I still have the piece of CRAP jack! (And good thing too, I could not find the original photos).

IMG_20220613_220035179_01d.jpg

IMG_20220613_220102151._01d.jpg