Motor Silk any good?

Hi;

New to forum. Have a '95 Corolla DX 5 sp. wagon, 145K miles (original clutch, no slipping). Best car I've ever had, hope to have it at least another 10 years. MPG seems to have fallen off a little past year or so, down to around 30 mpg from around 33. Always try to burn good fuel (usually Shell). Do mostly expressway driving, around 25 mi. one-way to work, with some around town errand running and occassional long trip. Do not baby car, usually drive 70-75 mph on highway and my throttle foot is very familiar with the floor boards.

Question is: Have been hearing ads for an oil treatment called Motor Silk done by a progressive talk radio host I usually trust and wonder if this stuff is any good and worth the money, or if I should just have major engine work done to increase engine life? My mechanic (who I trust) has not even suggested any major engine work, I do need a new valve cover gasket in the near future. I remember the old Slick 50, put some in my '76 Civic near the end of it's life (only 7 1/2 years) and it really didn't do much for it (horrid car anyway). Thanks for any guidence. Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather see you investigate the LUBEGARD range of products. While it is true that they are more well known for thier line of transmission protectant additives (I use it), explore this avenue first before deciding on the Motor Silk. Boron particles seem a bit too reminicent of CSL, which clogs oil filters.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi;

New to forum.  Have a '95 Corolla DX 5 sp. wagon, 145K miles (original clutch, no slipping).  Best car I've ever had, hope to have it at least another 10 years.  MPG seems to have fallen off a little past year or so, down to around 30 mpg from around 33.  Always try to burn good fuel (usually Shell).  Do mostly expressway driving, around 25 mi. one-way to work, with some around town errand running and occassional long trip.  Do not baby car, usually drive 70-75 mph on highway and my throttle foot is very familiar with the floor boards.

Question is:  Have been hearing ads for an oil treatment called Motor Silk done by a progressive talk radio host I usually trust and wonder if this stuff is any good and worth the money, or if I should just have major engine work done to increase engine life?  My mechanic (who I trust) has not even suggested any major engine work, I do need a new valve cover gasket in the near future.  I remember the old Slick 50, put some in my '76 Civic near the end of it's life (only 7 1/2 years) and it really didn't do much for it (horrid car anyway).  Thanks for any guidence.  Paul

FOUND THIS IN ENGINEERING NEWS:

Biodegradable Lubrication Technology Reduces

Energy Consumption and Extends Equipment Life

Tuesday May 24, 8:45 am ET

Boron CLS Bond Revolutionizes Industrial Equipment Efficiency

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 24, 2005--To address the rising cost of energy and protect the capital investment of industrial equipment, Advanced Lubrication Technology's (ALT) Boron CLS Bond® is the solution to improve fuel efficiency; reduce friction, heat, wear and corrosion in engines and industrial equipment; and extend engine and machine life. Incorporating technology discovered and patented by the Department of Energy's Argonne National Labs, Boron CLS Bond®, an extraordinary breakthrough in lubrication technology, is the key ingredient in the MotorSilk® and LubriSilk® line of engine lubricants and treatments, equipment lubricants, and greases.

Prior to the development of Boron CLS Bond®, lubricant additives contained graphite, chorine, molybdenum, sulfonates and zinc/phosphorus compounds that did not chemically bond to metal surfaces, and were either toxic or produced toxic byproducts and/or corrosive acids. Boron CLS Bond®'s use of biodegradable hydrogen orthoborate (boric acid), allows it to meet the most stringent government standards and mandates worldwide.

According to Pat Desert, PhD, Director of University of Oakland's Product Development and Manufacturing Center, major improvements in lubrication technology only come along every 25 to 30 years and ALT's Boron CLS Bond® is an improvement of this magnitude.

"We have subjected Boron CLS Bond® to rigorous field and laboratory testing by the some of the nation's leading independent testing authorities," said Tom Foscue, chairman of ALT. "Test results from Herguth Labs and the Product Development Center at the University of Oakland indicate that our new lubrication technology can be a superior replacement for environmentally unfriendly, extreme-pressure and friction reduction additives."

Boron CLS Bond® Performance

Analyses from independent laboratory testing substantiate that Boron CLS Bond® provides numerous benefits including: increased mechanical efficiency, decreased equipment downtime, extended life, increased fuel efficiency (3.5-30 percent), reduced mechanical wear (up to 80 percent), increased engine efficiency, reduced friction (up to 85 percent), reduced friction-related heat (20-40 percent), and lower exhaust emissions (combined urban and highway up to 35 percent). Numerous field tests with state Department's of Transportation, construction companies and commercial fleets consistently show average improvements in fuel economy in the range of 10 to 50 percent.

Industrial Market Success

Work with Canadian National (CN) Rail began with an environmental and lubrication problem related to rail switches. Historically, used engine oil was applied once a week to all switches to lubricate them and make them easier to switch. Typically these switches required hand lubrication every week and the high traffic switches in the inter-model yards (which average 1,200 switches per day) required hand lubrication every hour.

A special version of Boron CLS Bond® was developed for CN Rail to meet their particular needs. After applying ALT's lubricant, the normal switches only require lubrication every six weeks and the high traffic switches have gone from every hour to once a week. Furthermore, ALT reformulated the Boron CLS Bond® lubricant into an all weather highly visible lubricant that can readily be seen where the applications are most heavily worn.

Products made by ALT using Boron CLS Bond® include both finished lubricants and lubricant treatments in the form of and/or for addition to the following: motor oils, gear oils, turbine oils, high temperature lubricants, greases, hydraulic fluids, aerosol thin/dry film sprays, diesel fuel and gasoline, mold release fluids, cold forge fluids, and many other custom formulated products to address specific needs.

How Boron CLS Bond® Works

In practical application, the Boron CLS Bond® technology chemically seals the host metal surfaces with a metallic boroxide to prevent corrosion of the metal and metal induced oxidative breakdown of the fluid lubricant. Bound to this boroxide seal is a 200 nanometer thick layer of near frictionless crystalline boric acid platelets that create a solid boundary layer lubricant. This extreme low friction boundary layer works synergistically with the lubricant delivery and/or dispersal vehicle (ex. motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, gear oil, etc.), greatly improving the performance of the fluid lubricant. The crystalline platelets chemically react with metal to create a nearly permanent, self-replenishing, lubricant on virtually any metal surface. The boroxide coating is covalently bound to the metal surfaces and molecules in each platelet have strong macromolecular bonds, giving the boundary layer the equivalent of 85 percent of the hardness of diamonds.

About Advanced Lubrication Technology (ALT)

During government sponsored research into advanced lubrication concepts, a discovery in 1991 by a prominent scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy's prestigious Argonne National Laboratory redefined the potential of lubrication technology. Following the issuance of the initial patent in 1995, ALT (as exclusive worldwide licensee) invested millions of dollars over several years to develop both additive and fully formulated products incorporating the key technology discoveries that now provide a previously untapped potential to a worldwide equipment market seeking greater productivity, fuel efficiency and extended useful lives. ALT has already established the capabilities of the Boron CLS Bond® technology through development of diverse applications for the automotive aftermarket and a host of major industrial companies.

Source: Advanced Lubrication Technology (ALT)

FOUND THIS IN ENGINEERING NEWS:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 24, 2005--To address the rising cost of energy and protect the capital investment of industrial equipment, Advanced Lubrication Technology's (ALT) Boron CLS Bond® is the solution to improve fuel efficiency; reduce friction, heat, wear and corrosion in engines and industrial equipment; and extend engine and machine life. Incorporating technology discovered and patented by the Department of Energy's Argonne National Labs, Boron CLS Bond®, an extraordinary breakthrough in lubrication technology, is the key ingredient in the MotorSilk® and LubriSilk® line of engine lubricants and treatments, equipment lubricants, and greases.

Prior to the development of Boron CLS Bond®, lubricant additives contained graphite, chorine, molybdenum, sulfonates and zinc/phosphorus compounds that did not chemically bond to metal surfaces, and were either toxic or produced toxic byproducts and/or corrosive acids. Boron CLS Bond®'s use of biodegradable hydrogen orthoborate (boric acid), allows it to meet the most stringent government standards and mandates worldwide.

According to Pat Desert, PhD, Director of University of Oakland's Product Development and Manufacturing Center, major improvements in lubrication technology only come along every 25 to 30 years and ALT's Boron CLS Bond® is an improvement of this magnitude.

"We have subjected Boron CLS Bond® to rigorous field and laboratory testing by the some of the nation's leading independent testing authorities," said Tom Foscue, chairman of ALT. "Test results from Herguth Labs and the Product Development Center at the University of Oakland indicate that our new lubrication technology can be a superior replacement for environmentally unfriendly, extreme-pressure and friction reduction additives."

Analyses from independent laboratory testing substantiate that Boron CLS Bond® provides numerous benefits including: increased mechanical efficiency, decreased equipment downtime, extended life, increased fuel efficiency (3.5-30 percent), reduced mechanical wear (up to 80 percent), increased engine efficiency, reduced friction (up to 85 percent), reduced friction-related heat (20-40 percent), and lower exhaust emissions (combined urban and highway up to 35 percent). Numerous field tests with state Department's of Transportation, construction companies and commercial fleets consistently show average improvements in fuel economy in the range of 10 to 50 percent.

Work with Canadian National (CN) Rail began with an environmental and lubrication problem related to rail switches. Historically, used engine oil was applied once a week to all switches to lubricate them and make them easier to switch. Typically these switches required hand lubrication every week and the high traffic switches in the inter-model yards (which average 1,200 switches per day) required hand lubrication every hour.

A special version of Boron CLS Bond® was developed for CN Rail to meet their particular needs. After applying ALT's lubricant, the normal switches only require lubrication every six weeks and the high traffic switches have gone from every hour to once a week. Furthermore, ALT reformulated the Boron CLS Bond® lubricant into an all weather highly visible lubricant that can readily be seen where the applications are most heavily worn.

Products made by ALT using Boron CLS Bond® include both finished lubricants and lubricant treatments in the form of and/or for addition to the following: motor oils, gear oils, turbine oils, high temperature lubricants, greases, hydraulic fluids, aerosol thin/dry film sprays, diesel fuel and gasoline, mold release fluids, cold forge fluids, and many other custom formulated products to address specific needs.

In practical application, the Boron CLS Bond® technology chemically seals the host metal surfaces with a metallic boroxide to prevent corrosion of the metal and metal induced oxidative breakdown of the fluid lubricant. Bound to this boroxide seal is a 200 nanometer thick layer of near frictionless crystalline boric acid platelets that create a solid boundary layer lubricant. This extreme low friction boundary layer works synergistically with the lubricant delivery and/or dispersal vehicle (ex. motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, gear oil, etc.), greatly improving the performance of the fluid lubricant. The crystalline platelets chemically react with metal to create a nearly permanent, self-replenishing, lubricant on virtually any metal surface. The boroxide coating is covalently bound to the metal surfaces and molecules in each platelet have strong macromolecular bonds, giving the boundary layer the equivalent of 85 percent of the hardness of diamonds.

During government sponsored research into advanced lubrication concepts, a discovery in 1991 by a prominent scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy's prestigious Argonne National Laboratory redefined the potential of lubrication technology. Following the issuance of the initial patent in 1995, ALT (as exclusive worldwide licensee) invested millions of dollars over several years to develop both additive and fully formulated products incorporating the key technology discoveries that now provide a previously untapped potential to a worldwide equipment market seeking greater productivity, fuel efficiency and extended useful lives. ALT has already established the capabilities of the Boron CLS Bond® technology through development of diverse applications for the automotive aftermarket and a host of major industrial companies.

:D

:D

Hello All, I joined this forum because the "Toyota Owners Club" forum link appears on the same first page, of the Google search results, as my company's evergreenamerica.com web site. This happened because the Internet search engines will index and list forum sites, like this one, due to their heavy content of a particular topic or subject; in this case MotorSilk. I am responding today because of the meaningful coincidence of seeing the Los Angeles Business Wire May 24, 2005 News Release article posted to this forum by another member (see the copy provided below). I myself, just today, became aware of the news release, and so the synchronicity. The article tells the MotorSilk, Boron CLS Bond story in a factual and objective manner. Very simply, MotorSilk offers the most advanced and effective lubrication technology available on the market today. This claim has been proven by the leading US research and testing laboratories for the past ten years (see our web site for the test results). Previously, MotorSilk was used exclusively by the US Military and Fortune 100 Companies as an "extreme conditions" lubricant. Two years ago MotorSilk was first made available to the consumer public through our company via national radio advertising on several stations (currently Ron Ananian, the Car Doctor 710 AM WOR NY and Thom Hartmann from Oregon) . Our company's decision to enter the consumer market was a new direction for us as previously Evergreen America was a proactive maintenance engineering consulting company working exclusively with commercial and industrial accounts. However, because of the ease of use of the MotorSilk product and the enormous consumer demand for environmentally friendly energy saving technologies, we decided to offer this revolutionary product to the world. Read our comprehensive FAQ for answers to all your MotorSilk questions. Do your home work and learn for yourself why MotorSilk offers the most protection for your engine and transmission. Bob Graves, Vice President Evergreen America Corporation. 1-866-LESS-FUEL

************** See the news article below ***************

Engineering News Archive