94 corolla not starting

jelbow

My 94 corolla has a new battery, when I turn the key I get a clicking noise, but the car does not turn over.  Starter???? Where is the starter located on this car.

Also, do you have the factory alarm system on your Corolla? Is it the VIP RS300 system? You might need to try turning the key a few times quickly in the ignition before it starts (5 times, maybe? I can't quite remember...)

The car does not have an alarm system and the lights and radio do work. If I turn the key enough it finally gives in and starts. Ignition switch? Starter? The other thing I noticed was a noise almost like a vaccuum leak? not sure

old trick is

get someone to turn the key... just as they turn the key tap the starter motor with the handle of the screwdriver... give it a good old tap.. car should start.

I used to use this trick in the days of when i had a faulty starter motor

The other thing it could be is the alternator... thats the little motor looking thing that hangs off the side of the engine.

Have aread of my post on the TOCAU

My Australian TOC Thread

I thought it was the battery, then have found out the alternator is dead. All accessories will turn on when the key is in the ignition (lights, radio, A/C etc) but when trying to start it over, you get a machine gun type sound...

Good luck..

Cheers

Aaron

The other thing it could be is the alternator... thats the little motor looking thing that hangs off the side of the engine.

Have aread of my post on the TOCAU

My Australian TOC Thread

I thought it was the battery, then have found out the alternator is dead.  All accessories will turn on when the key is in the ignition (lights, radio, A/C etc) but when trying to start it over, you get a machine gun type sound...

Good luck..

Cheers

Aaron

I had an exact same starting problem with my earlier car(Nissan 240 SX), and it was fixed after I replaced the alternator. I was also baffled and the first thought was a bad starter. But the mechanic was good and concluded that the starter was fine.

Can you take the air filter housing out and look below it? If so, and you have the 4a-f, 4a-fe or 7a-fe engine. The starter mounting bolts should be 12 mm or 14 mm. If you don't see the starter there, then you have the 4a-ge engine---which is a completley different story. So let me know.

My 94 corolla has a new battery, when I turn the key I get a clicking noise, but the car does not turn over.  Starter???? Where is the starter located on this car.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and QUESS ALL OF YOU WHAT WAS IT!!!! NOT a Starter, HA HA HA 100$ for a new no point Starter, well it was not a battery either, first Check your STARTER FUSE, if burned replace it and try to start a car, if it burn again you got a circuit just what i had. Check you distributer (a little box with spark plugs connected to it), best way to do so is to disconnect one of the spark plug wires from an engine block and stick you finger inside spark plug wire, the other person starts the car and if it shocks you than you got electricity and its DEFFENETLY your starter, but if your Starter Fuse (30AMP Pink located left to a headlight fuses closest to you) burns out every time you try to start then you got Circuit, but if you distributer if fine, replace your starter and see what happens. Where is it located?? Its dirty and too hard to see, the best way it to buy a new starter (or used) and see what it looks like, than get under your car and you will see it in fron of you, by the way, to replace it you might want to get good tools, there are only 2 screws that need to be removed, one from underneath, you might want to use some power and one from top, but this on you might use a good tool, its just hard to get to it. I prefer to do this with a friend, quicker and easier when you got 2 brains instead of one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 94 corolla has a new battery, when I turn the key I get a clicking noise, but the car does not turn over. Starter???? Where is the starter located on this car.

It happened to my 94 corolla these days when the engine has been cooled down, though fine with hot engine. So finally we have you found? Starter motor or Starter solenoid? I suspect STARTER SOLENOID. For me, quickly turn key 3~5 times and then cross fingers.

Will collect any comments or suggestiong before going to a garage.

perhaps its the solenoid

It happened to my 94 corolla these days, I suspect the solenoid! Well, have to have it rebuilt! and then see what will happen? any more comment on this?

Thanks