Air conditioner Filter replacement

2001avalon

• 3 weeks later...

The owner's manual recommends replacing it every 15000 miles, and says that the AC filter is "behind the glove box" and " actual replacement time: less than 10 minutes approximately". But there is a Notice that says: "Do not try to replace the AC filter by yourself. Doing so may damage the vehicle".

When I bought the filter, I also got the exploded-view of the parts lay-out copies (from the Toyota Parts Department) for the AC filter and the glove box. But I'm still trying to figure out how to do the job without "damage the vehicle".

I can do some of the maintenance works on cars (1990 Lexus LS400, 1987 Camry) such as replacing: spark plugs, plugs cables, rotors and caps, air filters, oil and oil filters, ATF +screens + oil pan, brake pads and rotors....

But I don't have much experience working on car interior, and I don't want to cause any breakages or damages.

Any suggestions/advices would be greatly appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

illu :) Hi, I am trying to replace the air filter on my 2001 avalon also and would appreciate if you can post or send me the instructions of how to get the glove compartment out. Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Please show me how to change the AC filter on a 2001 avalon.

I have 87k on odo, but never changed this filter.

Thanks in advance. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There should be one philips head screw on the right side of the glove box, attached to the right side support strut. After you take out the screw, squeeze the sides of the glove box in and lower the glove box until it hangs down and out of the way. Then you can pull the filter out.