Cold Air Intake for 95 Corolla

tkpktoyota

Hello all,

I am a recent owner of 95 Corolla and I am very glad to own it. I do however feel that it lacks power when I am trying to merge into highways or accelerate after stopping. I have driven 97 Honda Civic (1.6 L) earlier and it did not have this problem. My Corolla is 1.8 L and should have been more or atleast equally powerful.

Is it just my car or its true for every 90s Corolla.

Also, will it help if I install a Cold Air Intake ? Will it make my car considerably louder or just a little louder ? Is it legal to Cold Air Intake in MD, USA ? Does it affect the emission tests ?

Hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
well, a cold air intake will give a slight increase in performance, as well as noise..

Best is to couple this with a performance exhaust system, which should give you a reasonable improvement..

My green 97 base with 3 spd auto shows a ajor difference with an intake and an exhaust. You can get headers / downpipe, highflow cat and a cat-back off ebay for reasonable prices.

Hello all,

I am a recent owner of 95 Corolla and I am very glad to own it. I do however feel that it lacks power when I am trying to merge into highways or accelerate after stopping. I have driven 97 Honda Civic (1.6 L) earlier and it did not have this problem. My Corolla is 1.8 L and should have been more or atleast equally powerful.

Is it just my car or its true for every 90s Corolla.

Also, will it help if I install a Cold Air Intake ? Will it make my car considerably louder or just a little louder ? Is it legal to Cold Air Intake in MD, USA ? Does it affect the emission tests ?

Hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks

Check out www.trdusa.com. They might be able to help with suggestions to make your car perform better if you call them. Cold air intake won't make much difference in your...maybe a couple horsepower, if that, and it won't make a difference in emissions. Did you try some basic maintenance like a tune-up? Maybe that's your problem?

Check out www.trdusa.com.  They might be able to help with suggestions to make your car perform better if you call them.  Cold air intake won't make much difference in your...maybe a couple horsepower, if that, and it won't make a difference in emissions.  Did you try some basic maintenance like a tune-up?  Maybe that's your problem?

thanks for the info..The rough idlling has actually decreased after I changed the PCV valve and the spark plugs. However, the fuel filter has never been changed. It is located at a very difficult to reach place(under air filter). According to the repair manual, the hose connected on lower part of the fuel filter can be removed from under the car. I took it to Jiffy Lube to get it replaced, but they dont replace fuel for this model of Corolla. I'll have to try it myself when i have some time on a cooler autumn day.

So you may be right..the car just needs a tune up. I guess the previous owner didnt really took care of it.

thanks again.

thanks for the info..The rough idlling has actually decreased after I changed the PCV valve and the spark plugs. However, the fuel filter has never been changed. It is located at a very difficult to reach place(under air filter). According to the repair manual, the hose connected on lower part of the fuel filter can be removed from under the car. I took it to Jiffy Lube to get it replaced, but they dont replace fuel for this model of Corolla. I'll have to try it myself when i have some time on a cooler autumn day.

So you may be right..the car just needs a tune up. I guess the previous owner didnt really took care of it.

thanks again.

I recently had to have my temp sensor replaced because it burned out. My car idled really bad because the sensor told the computer that the car was always cold. So it always gave it extra fuel. If this is the case with yours, I would have the sensor replaced, and your fuel filter changed professionally.

I recently had to have my temp sensor replaced because it burned out. My car idled really bad because the sensor told the computer that the car was always cold. So it always gave it extra fuel. If this is the case with yours, I would have the sensor replaced, and your fuel filter changed professionally.

thanks..the sensor is fine. i got the fuel filter changed professionally and even they took almost one hour to replace it inspite of all the tools they had. It was a pain in the neck for them too.

Anyway, the car's idling is much smoother now and acceleration is better too.

thank you all.

thanks..the sensor is fine. i got the fuel filter changed professionally and even they took almost one hour to replace it inspite of all the tools they had. It was a pain in the neck for them too.

Anyway, the car's idling is much smoother now and acceleration is better too.

thank you all.

Replacing the fuel filter on your Corolla is one of the most difficult jobs to do. They probably used dual crowfoot wrenches on the top and the bottm at the same time, and they probably spilled a gallon of gas while they did it. What were you charged to replace that $25 filter?

Replacing the fuel filter on your Corolla is one of the most difficult jobs to do. They probably used dual crowfoot wrenches on the top and the bottm at the same time, and they probably spilled a gallon of gas while they did it. What were you charged to replace that $25 filter?

I purchased the fuel filter for around $25 and took it to the neighbourhood gas station. The mechanic charged me $45 as labor charge. I agreed on a flat price before he started the work. The hourly labor charges around my area are $75. He however did not use a dual crowfoot wrench. He had to remove the airfilter assembly, then the charcoal canister and then reach for the fuel filter. The top part was not much of a problem for him. Reaching the bottom part of the fuel filter from under the car was a big hassle.

But he did it allright, knew what he was doing.