Echo owners, how to add a new headunit

Moffmo

Hi guys, forgive me if the echos are different from Yaris...

here goes....

The tutorials in the workshop only work on phase 1, but on the phase 2 the layout of the dash is very different, for example the top half of the dash is actually attached to the speedometer bay...

So what you need to do is firstly is pull off the Speedometer by gripping sides and pull, quite tricky, but dont worry it will come out eventually...

Speedometer.jpg

This is why its different in phase two, in phase one you can ignore the steps involving taking the speedomter out.

After doing this, again for phase 2 only, you have you unscrew the screw holding dash to the dash lol...as shown here by the arrow and circle :)

Speedometerscrew.jpg

After this you need to take heater knobs off and unscrew the screws as shown in the pic. When you have done that, place your hands where the red lines are along dash (picture went a bit off, but you can figure it out), grab the edges and pull, and i mean really yank it! (dont be scared!)

Screwsindashcopy.jpg

You should end up in this situation

Dashpulledoff.jpg

Try and put this put this out of the way without breaking the wiring, i just shoved it in speedo dash hole and it stuck it in there, its holds it pretty well ;)

Anyway, now you need to unscrew bottom half, you need to unscrew the screws shown by the arrows here....(Screws cannot been seen in pic, arrows show where it would be)

Screws.jpg

Now remove the ashtray (press down on metal tab and pull it out) then unscrew the screws there as shown here...

screwash.jpg

Now again grab the sides and pull, i found it easier to pull at the very bottom where dash board is and lever it out as far as possible. then i gripped the top and placed my thumbs on the sides of top bit, i levered with my thumb (pushed with my thumb) and it came out with a bit of a fight...but at least you dont hit yourself :D

Disconnect ALL the wiring that goes into the headunit and lighter. Congratulations you have a free unit...

Free.jpg

To put new headunit in, you need to unscrew the cash tray and put your headunit in from BEHIND where cash tray was, screw the headunit on like the cash tray was held. hey presto, you got a heavier lower dash :D

Start putting the bottom bit in, but leave it reasting agaist gear shifter...This will allow you to wire it all, get your halfords adaptor and plug the old toyota connections into it, then connect the adaptor the the headunit wiring, and if need, plug the headunit wiring into the headunit :D

Like this

Wiring.jpg

S - Standard plug/wiring

HA - Halfords adaptor

HC - Headunit Connection :D

After that, get it all put away screw it all in and this should be a finished project :D

EndProduct.jpg

Hope this helps you all!

Tips

Dont leave key in ignition this will blow your fuse :S (when disconnecting and connecting)

test the headunit works before putting everything back ;)

If you find the headunits memory resets itself, you need to look for a yellow wire and a red wire, there will be two halfs, you need to make sure the red wire is connected to the red wire and the yello wire is connected to the yellow wire.

Hope this helps

Cheers :thumbsup:

Matt

• 1 year later...