Problems with '00 Corolla

dunno

Hello, I was doing a search and found your site, maybe somebody here can offer some advice. I have an '00 Corolla, and until this fall my biggest problems have been flat tires and the seatbelt light blinking for no reason. But earlier this fall, it started dying for no discernable reason. It would die fairly often but not every time I turned on the car, soon after I would turn it on. Didn't matter if I was just sitting there, backing out, or moving forward. I'd always just turn it back on and go. Knowing nothing about cars, I thought at first maybe it was an electrical problem, in part bc of the seatbelt light issue and also the fact that the car shocks me sometimes as well. One day the car wouldn't start at all, and I had to get a jump. Not long after that I took it in after it died again after startup bc I was panicked about it dying for good. I took it to Firestone, certainly not my first choice but the only thing close by. They said there was no problem with the electrical system, and just replaced the battery. It ran great for a few days but then the dying started up again. At some point I tried an off-the-shelf bottle of fuel injector cleaner (had been asking around and had the fuel injectors suggested as the problem by a few folks). It still kept dying though, and finally a few weeks ago the check engine light came on, so I took it in to a local shop I like. They ran a diagnostic, and as a result tried (I think) a fuel system cleaning and (a) new spark plug(s), and gave me a bottle of additive to put in when I gassed up. Again, it ran great for a few days, then started dying again, and has been ever since. Finally this weekend the check engine light came back on again, and yesterday the emergancy brake light was coming on for some unknown reason, so I got up early and took it in today. The diagnostic said it was running lean. They gave me some more additive to try first and said if it was still acting up to come back in Monday and they'd go from there. He explained some possibilities to me but I'm not a car person, I think he also said a faulty injector might be the problem, and I think he said last time one problem was a cylinder not firing right (would that explain the spark plug?). Anyway, I trust this place pretty well, I've never felt cheated or anything there, and the pricing seems reasonable, I guess I just want as many opinions as possible about what the problem(s) might be so I can talk about it with them without sounding like an idiot. Any ideas anyone? I always put in premium gas, btw. The guy seemed surprised when I told him that since that didn't mesh with running lean, I guess? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...