Oil Change

Burstein6

My car is currently at 65,500 and the last time I changed my oil was at 59,000 and that was 8 months ago. The car seems to be running fine, but I want to make the car last (its my first car). Do you think I could make this oid last another month or should I change?

It could probably go another month, but oil changes are relatively cheap, why chance it? The oil is the blood or lifeline for your engine, why not treat it better? You should be changing your oil out every 5K miles or 5 months whichever comes first. More frequently if you drive in stop and go traffic and short distances.

• 1 year later...

Being 16 I presume you do not remember the fram filter ads that used to run on tv. They said pay me now or pay me later. Stop trying to impress anyone. Oil is cheap compared to tearing down an engine. Change your oil and filter every 4,000 miles and three times a year. Same with Air filter and fuel filter, keep them clean. You'll really impress your parents if you buy a Haynes or Chilton Manual and learn to do simple stuff yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't afford to take it somewhere, changing oil is really easy and cheap. Most auto stores have sales on different brands of oil from time to time that make it really cheap! It'd even be better to buy the store brand/generic than to drive too long. If you HAVE to hold out, check the oil to make sure it's not thick and tar like at least.