Starting problem

syam

Hi!

I have a 2002 Camry. Runs pretty well. Having a problem lately. Once I stop the car and turn off the engine, it will not restart if I try to turn it on immediately. However, if I try to restart the car after around 15 minutes, the car starts without any problem. Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Syam

Sounds like it could be a vapor lock situation. I have not heard of these cars having this sort of problem however. Vapor lock is when the gas in the fuel line vaporizes when the engine is hot. This causes the gas flow to stop since the vapor blocks the flow. After the engine cools the vapor condenses and allows the flow of fuel to happen. The fix would be to relocate or insulate the fuel line so it does not get too hot.

It could be the fuel pressure regulator. You might want to take your Camry in for a fuel pressure test. It could also potentially be a battery or starter issue. Is it making in weird noises? Does the engine even turn over when you try right away?

It could be caused by any of the previous posters suggestions but I agree that this is not a common problem with Camrys. I would try a systematic approach. #1. Is this a new problem or something you have dealt with a long time? #2 Verify that the car is not running hot by looking at the temp guage. It should stay about mid range when fully warmed up. #3 Have battery and charging system tested by taking to advance auto parts or another place that does it for free. If the above items all check good, then you have narrowed it down to the fuel delivery system. The pump is located under your back seat in the tank and your filter is located under the air filter box in the engine compartment. Good luck!