4Runner Rear Differential Housing rusts through!

bellagas

As a new member, and familiar with the earlier recalls of Tacoma models with the same "rust through" problem with the rear differential, I am curious as to why Toyota would leave (virtually the same chassis) the 4Runner owners out in the cold! I just spent a small fortune replacing my rusted through housing and was just plain lucky that I caught it before the rear end seized.

THIS SHOULD BE VIEWED AS A SAFETY PROBLEM AND REPORTED TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES.

I have already paid for this new housing and am not looking for reimbursement - nor do I expect any satisfaction from Toyota.

Bellagas

• 11 years later...

I gots over 210,000 miles on my 2005 4runner rear end / differential. I changed the fluid with some Valvoline 80W 90 in July 2019 (143,000 miles). It was black and plenty old, but with new lube since then, I'm going fine IMO. 

I get the oil changed in driveway every 5000 miles - religiously. Differentials can last to over 500,000 miles on a 4runner IMO. I've done our 4runner differential fluid once. Outboard differentials and lower units on the other hand are garbage - even when built my Yamaha. Rear Differential Fluid Gear Oil Change - Toyota 4Runner - Bing video

IMG_6056 (1).jpg

House2Car garage.JPG

July14TBoat-BE.JPG

11 hours ago, BahamasTom said:

I gots over 210,000 miles on my 2005 4runner rear end / differential. I changed the fluid with some Valvoline 80W 90 in July 2019 (143,000 miles). It was black and plenty old, but with new lube since then, I'm going fine IMO. 

I get the oil changed in driveway every 5000 miles - religiously. Differentials can last to over 500,000 miles on a 4runner IMO. I've done our 4runner differential fluid once. Outboard differentials and lower units on the other hand are garbage - even when built my Yamaha. Rear Differential Fluid Gear Oil Change - Toyota 4Runner - Hum3D

IMG_6056 (1).jpg

House2Car garage.JPG

July14TBoat-BE.JPG

Hi BahamasTom! Tank you for sharing your experience! 

I have heard of several other 4Runner owners experiencing the rust problem, especially those in areas with harsh winter weather. It's definitely concerning and I agree that it should be treated as a safety issue.

Has anyone had any luck getting Toyota to take responsibility for this issue and cover the repair costs? I would hate to have to pay for a costly repair out of my own pocket.

• Like 1