How to modify a 2005 Camry into a wagon?

McGreg

I know some of you will think this just an impractical/ridiculous idea/fantasy, but I guess there are many who wish that the 2002?-2006 model Camry had been available in a station wagon. Perhaps, at a later time, if I receive any responses to my exploration, I will share some personal history about the vehicle and how I acquired it and what my true perceptions were of Camrys in general. For now I will say that I bought my 2005 Camry LE in 2007 for about half of it's market value at that time. It's still close to excellent shape with nearly (only) 68,000 miles on it. So, I consider it to be not such an impractical idea to modify it from a financial viewpoint, up to an as yet to be determined cost limit. That is one of the things I hope to learn more about by coming here to join this club and creating, so far as I've explored this site, a new forum.

I have some thoughts about how to go about doing this without having the whole back end of the car re-sculpted by Auto Body Artistes ($$$$$!). For example, finding an appropriately sized and hopefully a somewhat synergistically styled rear end of another vehicle in a salvage yard and then a shop willing to cut and apply it might work. I'm going to leave it there for now. I'd like to hear any ideas you have or maybe had already considered about this. Has anyone done it?

McGreg

Your going to hear this over and over but I guess I'll be the first...

If you desire a wagon, like many of us do, then make a much more wise financial decision and purchase a acura, audi, BMW or VW wagon, or whatever else is available. Spending your hard earned money to "modify" the camry into a one off frankenstein is akin to pouring money down the drain. Even if you found something similar in shape...deconstructing the unibody, removing key structural members and re-welding everything back together in addition to paint and bondoing a one off interior together...you will spend well into the 5 figure range. When all complete, you will have a car with no value whatsoever. Go buy a 5 year old wagon for less and have something to show for it.

• Like 1