Solara grilles

Broadcaster

One of the areas of compromise by Toyota designers when they were creating Solara was the front grille, in as much as they appear to have painted the chrome edges of the grille.

Needless to say that after numerous years of cleaning, polishing and washing the chrome start to wear off and the net result is a totally shabby, degrading, awful looking grille

The replacement grille is over $125.00 but my solution cost was $12.50

I think the result is very nice specially for a car with 161000 miles on the clock. It is amazing the effect of Elbow Grease and a couple of coats of paint.

post-5464-053173800 1289365586_thumb.jpg

looks better without the chrome

wonder what it would look like all in white?

I thought of Pearl white (the same colour of the car).

However having studied a lot of pictures and a lot of trends I decided that a grille with the same colour as the body work it is really 1980/ early 90's fashion. As we all wish to look younger I thought cars are the same . The latest appears to be a black mesh or chrome mesh with the manufacturers logo shining in the middle. and the finish should be satin to blend in with the newer cars. One of the attractions of this car is that it does not look dated......yet.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have one too that had a grille with peeling chrome. I just bought the original version on ebay at a fraction of the dealer cost. I like my cars to look original. But what you did was very nice. When I tried to paint my old grille the paint did not hold up well at all.

• 1 month later...

Nice Job on your grill..... what paint did you use? and how is it holding up under car wear and tear?

Haven't been around for a while

The paint looks as though it was painted yesterday perfect

A moron while I was driving opened his door and took the side of my car and had no insurance . It is functional and I decide not to repair it . Result people avoid me like the plague.And that my friends is what I want as I remain safe with my kids inside. No one parks near me or passes me or cuts me up . I have had a peaceful year driving and now I have approximately 200000 miles on the clock reliable as ever.

As to what paint it is more how to paint

First remove all the chrome except centerpiece using Brillo pads. This requires a lot of elbow grease but the result is worth it.

Of course the crille is out of the car. Then you clean the grille so it has no dust or grease residue.Using a motor car quality black satin primer give it a very very thin coat. Allow to dry a day

wash it with sponge and dry it .when dry and no trace of water give it another coat and repeat the process.

once dry second time round using motor car grade black Satin paint spray from about 6 to 10 inches away a very thin coat and make sure you don't have runs. Let it dry 24 hours . rub it down and wash and dry and when completely dry give it another coat. The result is worth the while. This is what I did and accept no responsibility if you try my method and don't get the results.

The illigitamate child of the female dog did not have insurance. I mean the mexican kid who took the side of my car.