Hi, I just joined this forum because I'm a complete idiot when it comes to cars and wanted some place to go to for information and to get my questions answered, preferably by fellow Corolla owners. I'm one of those girls that freaks out every time a strange light comes on the dash, and I even have to have my boyfriend help me put air in my tires. I can pump my own gas though, woo-hoo! Go me!

I own a 2009 Toyota Corolla which is just about to hit the 25,000 mile mark. My specific question for today is how much should it cost to get your scheduled maintenance done? My 5,000 mile maintenance cost about $65 at my local Toyota dealership. I asked about my 25,000 mile maintenance (which according to the manual is basically the same as the 5,000 mile: basic oil change, tire rotation and visual inspection), and they quoted me at about $120. Why is it so much more this time around?

Also, the last time I took my car to Meineke for maintenance (much cheaper than the dealership), they told me I would need to get my front brakes replaced by my next maintenance appointment. I feel like 25,000 is not enough mileage to need your brakes replaced.

Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, Bellachix

Your Corolla is a tough (not so little anymore) car. I've owned several and never had to replace brakes on any of them with as little as 25000 miles on the odometer. However, that isn't to say it can't happen. If you habitually drive with your foot on the brake, drive primarily in mountainous terrain, overload your car, haul a trailer, or are an active member of the "Use your own Corolla" racing team," then yes, you could need new brakes. If you are, however, just the average Joe or Josephine and none of the above conditions sound like anything you do, then chances are something is rotten in auto land.

Taking advantage of cheap oil changes is a good idea for your pocketbook, but you should remember that some shops that offer these discounted services are, sad to say, often looking to get your car on the rack so that they can find, or in some cases invent things that they can fix. They pray on naive folks like your self and at some time in our life we have all fallen victim to them.

If you're really worried about this, take your Corolla to someone knowledgeable about cars (and most especially brakes.) Yes, even a Toyota dealer if need be. Have them take a look at the brakes and ask them for a written statement to confirm their findings. Make them take you into the shop and show you what needs to be done and why. If it turns out that your brakes really do need replacing then don't procrastinate too long before having the work completed.