wheel corrosion

I just signed up, have a 2008 Tacoma ORD. Just noticed this summer that all four wheels have corrosion, bubbling under the paint/clear coat, whatever it is. A internet search shows this is a pretty common problem, so far I haven't got any response from dealer or Toyota HQ. Anybody else out there dealing with this?

A good part of that problem is that you live in Michigan, and the road commission uses salt on the roads...it's very corrosive, and almost every car that gets driven in that stuff eventually develops rust, corrosion, etc. Double check your warranty book, because I'm not sure what the warranty term is for corrosion. It may be longer than the standard 3/36k warranty.

Agree,in the mean time, keep washing the road salts off the wheels to prevent further corrosion.

I hope you are covered under warranty.

A good part of that problem is that you live in Michigan, and the road commission uses salt on the roads...it's very corrosive, and almost every car that gets driven in that stuff eventually develops rust, corrosion, etc. Double check your warranty book, because I'm not sure what the warranty term is for corrosion. It may be longer than the standard 3/36k warranty.

• 2 months later...

I have a (06 Tacoma 4X4) with the same problems. Bubbling corrosion migrating from the back of the wheels to the front. All 4 are in bad shape, and I’m sure the spare is 4 times worse.

Dealer says it’s from road salt used here in the “Rust Belt”, they don’t have any problems down south. Well we also have a lot of old Ford, Chevys and Chryslers up here with alloy wheels and I have yet to find one with bubbling corrosion.

It’s not like I neglect my vehicles. Sure the Tacoma sees a lot of winter driving but thats why I bought it. I try to run it through the car wash at least once a week during the winter to get the salt off, but I guess Toyotas were not ment to be exposed to the elements. They should be parked and covered in a heated garage in September and left there until the Robins return in the Spring.

My wife says no more Toyotas, between the wheels and the dealer duct taping the air cleaner back on after replacing the filter shes had enough.