2005 highlander wind noise

Hi, I am Steve, your friendly ambassador.

Welcome to the board.

We of the board like discussing issues with Toyotas, exchanging ideas and experiences regarding Toyotas,

and helping each other out with mechanical questions. To wit:

There are TSB's on weatherstripping noise for the 2002-2005 year Toys. You certainly have a warranty issue that needs to be addressed with the dealer, or regional. But do keep in mind that the board is not attached to Toy in any fiduciary manner or maintain any pecuniary interest in same.

Powitanie.

First:Hi everybody

greetings from Poland

we have only a few "specimen" of this model in my country area ( 2-5), so I hope in this place to find a help and more informations

I bought a HH 2003 last year and I've never had a problem with noise inside ( maybe one time , when I changed tires on all terrrain )

last week I have drive my friend's new volvo xc90 and I was supriesed because about 100mph it was shoking loud inside.

a problem is what You expect from car - we have here a general opinion that Toyota can go as long as a owner can keep a steering wheel.

if You want some more, buy some LEXURY - sorry - luxury.

ps

sorry for my poor english

I am having the same problem with our 2001 Highlander. We just bought the car a few months ago and just this past weekend I had the wind noise on the driver's side. It's been really windy here in Vancouver and driving on the highway, when the wind hits the car from the front driver's side corner, it makes a horrible noise. Really loud and disturbing. I will check this TSB and see if it can be fixed.

Bob

Well, I've had my Highlander since 2001 and it's squealed in very high winds off the windshield corners. But it's not really that big of thing. When it happens, it's on a REALLY STRONG gust. The whole car is shoved and it howls! :blink: Also funny, of course is the incredibly pounding helicopter sound that happens with the Sun roof open and a rear window....even just one window open you can get a pretty good thundering going in the car. Pretty funny actually. I love to torture the kids with it if they're bad :D It's just how it is. Next year they reimagine the whole car, so hopefully they learned about wind since then ;)

I think overall the car has been very quiet....assuming it's not windy out and the windows are rolled up.

Joel

• 1 month later...

surely the wind noise was there during your test drive?

I am a new HH (2006) owner and have noticed no excessive wind noise at all and in fact have had several favorable comments from passengers (both front and back) about low noise levels. Might there be a simple solution such as a new seal? I am however, not very happy about the 22 mpg it has been getting, but it only has 500 mi. so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my 3rd HL. It's a 2006 2WD V6 and it's great! A joy to drive. No wind noise to speak of. However, the '01 and the '02 both had the door seal issue at the left rear door. Both had the seal replaced and never an issue after that. I highly suggest to all (and for every car you have) to use a silicon or rubber treatment on all of your door seals, the rear hatch seal, and the rubber seals at the front and rear of the hood. I use Armor All or Son of a Gun or whatever silicon treatment I have on hand. It helps condition the rubber and could make the seals last longer. It may also provide some additional wind/road noise reduction. I've been doing this since 1977. It made a huge difference on cars that had frameless door glass. :)

• 7 months later...

:( I have a new 2005 highlander. There is a bad wind noise on the drivers side. Toyota says this is normal. What do you think.

I have used an aftermarket product for some years, called a wind guard that installs easily on the upper door frame. It deflects wind nicely and provides some sun shade as well as they are usually tinted. Interestingly, Toyotas are not unique to this. A friend of mine installed the wind guard on his Rolls Royce Silver Shadow for the same reason. Says it works great.