2005 highlander wind noise

:angry::angry::angry: When a $35,000.00 plus vehicle has this type of problem. The manufacturer has the problem not the new owner. i purchased the Ztoyota because of your reputation for making good QUITE vehicles. This vehicle does not meet my expatati0ons and the respone from the dealer and Toyota to this problem is

N O T G O O D. You responce has been as bad as the rest of your companys responce. I am a auto mechanic by trade and can nad will down play the reputation of this vehicle. :angry:

Firstly.

This club has no official connection to Toyota.

It is an owners club, where Toyota owners and enthusiasts can meet.

Secondly, I understand your frustration, HOWEVER, I have NEVER heard Toyota having the reputation of being Quiet - if you want silence, buy a Lexus...

Toyota has a reputation for reliability.

If your not happy with your car, i do feel for you, however, i do think you are over-reacting to the issue, surely if you bought the car new, and you were unhappy you could request a refund or replacement, and the fact you havent suggests you cannot be that unhappy with the car..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I just bought a 05 Highlander std 2WD V6 less than a month ago. Coming from a 99 VW Passat wagon I'll say the Highlander is noisier. Based on recommendations from the Lexus RX330 forum, today I removed the roof rack cross bars in attempt to lower the wind noise. It doesn't sound like this is what you're hearing but you may want to give it a try. Takes about 15mins and is easily reversible if you need them.

Can't give any feedback on weather it worked or not (still sitting in driveway) but personally I think it looks better without them.

Good luck.

Mike

:(  I have a new 2005 highlander.  There is a bad wind noise on the drivers side.  Toyota says this is normal.  What do you think.

Firstly.

This club has no official connection to Toyota.

It is an owners club, where Toyota owners and enthusiasts can meet.

Secondly, I understand your frustration, HOWEVER, I have NEVER heard Toyota having the reputation of being Quiet - if you want silence, buy a Lexus...

Toyota has a reputation for reliability.

If your not happy with your car, i do feel for you, however, i do think you are over-reacting to the issue, surely if you bought the car new, and you were unhappy you could request a refund or replacement, and the fact you havent suggests you cannot be that unhappy with the car..

He's right...you don't buy a Toyota because it's quiet, although some are very quiet. You buy a Toyota because you can drive it for 500,000 miles with minimal expense. I have a Lexus and a Toyota, and, yes, my Camry is louder than my new GS300. But I'm not complaining...I have 173,000 miles on the Camry and absolutely zero issues with the car. To put this in perspective, I also (unfortunately) have a Ford Explorer. It's a 2003 with 60k, and it's had many, many major mechanical problems in its short life...and it's far noisier than my old Camry and (I'm sure) your Highlander. Go test drive any domestic SUV, and your Highlander will suddenly seem very quiet and smooth.

-LeighCM

• 4 months later...

I just bought a HH a month ago. I have noticed and am annoyed by the same problem. I definitely didn't have it in my honda accord and my husband doesn't have it in his Honda Element. I think there is something very wrong with the design. I'm wondering if collectively we can do something about it?

r

My wife and I just bought a 05 Highlander std 2WD V6 less than a month ago. Coming from a 99 VW Passat wagon I'll say the Highlander is noisier. Based on recommendations from the Lexus RX330 forum, today I removed the roof rack cross bars in attempt to lower the wind noise. It doesn't sound like this is what you're hearing but you may want to give it a try. Takes about 15mins and is easily reversible if you need them.

Can't give any feedback on weather it worked or not (still sitting in driveway) but personally I think it looks better without them.

Good luck.

Mike

Did the roof rack removal help? There's also a way to adjust the roof rack so that it doesn't make the noise...have you tried that?

Thanks! I found that TB http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11284092...NV008-05/8.html it looks like it's specifically for a Land Cruiser. I don't think that's a Highlander is it? I'll call my dealer just in case. And to answer the previous post, no, I did not notice it during the test drive as I didn't drive the vehicle at that high a speed during the test drive. I have learned a lot about test driving a vehicle during this car buying exercise. By the way, we have been on the road with the Highlander Hybrid all week and are averaging about 24 MPG. Not bad I think for the size of the car and the engine and considering we are weighted down.

thanks for looking for the TB for me.

Happy Holidays. r

I am having the same problem with our 2001 Highlander. We just bought the car a few months ago and just this past weekend I had the wind noise on the driver's side. It's been really windy here in Vancouver and driving on the highway, when the wind hits the car from the front driver's side corner, it makes a horrible noise. Really loud and disturbing. I will check this TSB and see if it can be fixed.

Bob

Thanks! I found that TB http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11284092...NV008-05/8.html it looks like it's specifically for a Land Cruiser. I don't think that's a Highlander is it? I'll call my dealer just in case. And to answer the previous post, no, I did not notice it during the test drive as I didn't drive the vehicle at that high a speed during the test drive. I have learned a lot about test driving a vehicle during this car buying exercise. By the way, we have been on the road with the Highlander Hybrid all week and are averaging about 24 MPG. Not bad I think for the size of the car and the engine and considering we are weighted down.

thanks for looking for the TB for me.

Happy Holidays. r

• 3 weeks later...

First:Hi everybody

greetings from Poland

we have only a few "specimen" of this model in my country area ( 2-5), so I hope in this place to find a help and more informations

I bought a HH 2003 last year and I've never had a problem with noise inside ( maybe one time , when I changed tires on all terrrain )

last week I have drive my friend's new volvo xc90 and I was supriesed because about 100mph it was shoking loud inside.

a problem is what You expect from car - we have here a general opinion that Toyota can go as long as a owner can keep a steering wheel.

if You want some more, buy some LEXURY - sorry - luxury.

ps

sorry for my poor english

First:Hi everybody

greetings from Poland

we have only a few "specimen" of this model in my country area ( 2-5), so I hope in this place to find a help and more informations

I bought a HH 2003 last year and I've never had a problem with noise inside ( maybe one time , when I changed tires on all terrrain )

last week I have drive my friend's new volvo xc90 and I was supriesed because about 100mph it was shoking loud inside.

a problem is what You expect from car - we have here a general opinion that Toyota can go as long as a owner can keep a steering wheel.

if You want some more, buy some LEXURY - sorry - luxury.

ps

sorry for my poor english

Thanks for insight....and welcome to the club. I've also driven the Volvo, and you're right - the build quality, handling, noise, etc. are all far inferior to a Highlander. And the Volvo is supposed to compete with the Lexus RX330, not the Highlander.

• 3 weeks later...