2.2L 5SFE needs power. suggestions?

SW20+1

I have a 1993 MR2 with the naturally aspirated 5SFE motor commonly found in Camrys. There is a reason why it should STAY in the Camry: IT'S WEAK! If anyone has any inexpensive solutions to giving this motor some ass, please let me know!

P.S. Every bit of horsepower counts, so give me all the suggestions you guys have. Thanks!

-Jeff-

strange. I know they did MR2's with the 2.0 FE (128bhp) engine, but not a 2.2 version.

As for more power - well the best start is an induction kit and exhaust combo - perhaps consider a piggyback ECU such as a Datek - that'll give you around 10-15% increase in performance, but more importantly, the car will feel much better.

Yeah they put the 5SFE (2.2L w/135hp) in the NA MR2s in the states. I think that the 3SGE(2.0L) is in the NA MR2s in the UK and Japan, but I'm not 100% sure. I already have a 4-1 header and a short ram intake on my 2, and I'm thinking about upgrading the fuel system, because three of my cylinders are running a little lean. Would anyone happen to know if the fuel rail from an MR2 turbo would fit on the 5SFE?

• 8 months later...

strange. I know they did MR2's with the 2.0 FE (128bhp) engine, but not a 2.2 version.

As for more power - well the best start is an induction kit and exhaust combo - perhaps consider a piggyback ECU such as a Datek - that'll give you around 10-15% increase in performance, but more importantly, the car will feel much better.

great idea thinking of doing somthing to my 06 accord ex

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

5sfe 2.2 Is weak, but solid as a rock!! A lot of people may tell you to swap the engine for a turbo, But a 5sfe is great if you know how to drive it. I seen guy's with 5sfe beating some turbo guy's just with a few mods.

A few things that you can do to your car for more power are Intake - ecu-cams exhaust system and bigger spark plugs.

That's pretty much what you can do to the 5sfe without adding a turbo.

All depends of how much power do you really want and for what use.

• 4 months later...