'05 Corolla Questions

mickemoose

I recently purchased an '05 Corolla LE (automatic) three weeks ago. I'm getting decent gas mileage (42 mpg), but tonight, I started having a problem with the CD player. I loaded (4) CDs into the player a few days ago and tonight when I used the CD player, one of my favorite CDs stopped playing and the "ERROR 3" message came on the screen. I tried ejecting all (4) CDs, but the player will not eject any of them.

When I press and hold the eject button (to unload all CDs) the "ERROR 3" message stays on the screen and the orange warning lights on both sides of the CD slot keep flashing. I must've pressed the eject button a hundred times and still - nothing - the CDs will not eject. Good grief, this is only the second time I've used the CD player since I purchased the car!

My other question deals with oil consumption. My '05 owners manual states (on page 179) that normal oil consumption for the Corolla is 1.1 quarts every 600 miles!! Man, that's what you call an oil burner! This is "normal" for a new car? My old '93 Ford Explorer with 112,532 miles (which I sold to help pay for this new Corolla) never burned a drop of oil in (12) years! It was a pig on gas, but it didn't burn any oil.

Also, the manual recommends that 5W-30 oil be used in the Corolla. What's wrong with 10W-30? Just about every car on the road has 10W-30 oil in it and besides, that's what the quick lube stations use.

I'm starting to wonder ...

I appreciate your comments and/or suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Regarding your question about oil consumption, I have a 2004 Corolla and the owner's manual says basically the same thing on p 179 (I think that's the page.).

I was talking to the service manager at my Toyota dealer about my high idle question and mentioned the oil consumption note to him. He said that if he had an engine with that oil consumption he would consider the engine shot. It would be replaced under waranty by Toyota if still within the waranty period.

The oil consumption note, I think, (and the service manager agreed) refers only to oil consumption in the first 600 to 1000 miles (the break-in period). But even then, it would be very unusual for this amount of oil consumption to occur. If it did, you should check the engine and watch continued oil consumption.

The note is very poorly worded and could be interpreted as normal acceptable oil consumption on first reading. You may want to check with your service manager to get the dealer's interpretation of the manual.

• 3 weeks later...

About the CD player- Toyota should simply replace it for you.

Regarding the oil consumption, I have a 2004 LE and have had no problems with the car concuming too much oil. I don't think even large trucks use that much oil. It sounds like a misprint to me.

Josh ;)

• 1 month later...

I've got a 2005 Corolla CE (I'm cheap) with the 4spd Auto - I've got 25000km on it, and it doesn't burn any oil in between oil changes whatsoever.

Just put 4000km on it in a 3 week period, checked the oil the other day, still right full and clean.

Regarding 5W-30 vs 10W-30 - yes, your corolla is spec'd to use 5W-30, and designed for it. 5W-30 gives better mileage and certainly makes for a quieter engine, especially in winter. And quick lube places have no problems putting 5W-30 in, they have huge barrels of it, as well as the regular 1quart containers...

If you're doing extreme driving, or in an extremely hot area, you can talk to your dealer/service centre about using a different weight oil. I personally use a 0W-30 synthetic in my Corolla in winter - it gets cold here and I feel the lower viscosity protects my engine better in ocassional nasty -45 weather. But in the rest of the seasons (we have six months of winter where I am) I run the regular 5W-30.