Help, I've lost my smart key!

Tim Holst

Hi all. I drive a 2006 Prius. Lost my smart key at the gym and evidently some weirdo walked off with it instead of turning it in at the desk. So I'm driving with my spare smart key, and trying to figure out how to get a working backup key without spending $300 at my local Toyota dealer. (The best dealer quote in my area was $200 for a new smart key and $100 for cutting and programming.) The dealer told me the same labor cost would apply whether the key came from the dealership or elsewhere...don't know whether to believe that.

I can get a Prius smart key on eBay for as little as $20. Has anyone had success (or fail) with this method?

I found Prius smart keys on CarAndTruckRemotes for $150 new, $100 used, 30 day money back guarantee. Has this worked (or not) for anyone?

I also checked with KeylessRemotes. They do not sell Prius keys and they advised me "not" to buy a used smart key on eBay, etc., as they are "not" reprogrammable.

Is there a reliable alternative, or should I just bite the bullet and shell out $300 at the dealer?

Thanks...

Hi all. I drive a 2006 Prius. Lost my smart key at the gym and evidently some weirdo walked off with it instead of turning it in at the desk. So I'm driving with my spare smart key, and trying to figure out how to get a working backup key without spending $300 at my local Toyota dealer. (The best dealer quote in my area was $200 for a new smart key and $100 for cutting and programming.) The dealer told me the same labor cost would apply whether the key came from the dealership or elsewhere...don't know whether to believe that.

I can get a Prius smart key on eBay for as little as $20. Has anyone had success (or fail) with this method?

I found Prius smart keys on CarAndTruckRemotes for $150 new, $100 used, 30 day money back guarantee. Has this worked (or not) for anyone?

I also checked with KeylessRemotes. They do not sell Prius keys and they advised me "not" to buy a used smart key on eBay, etc., as they are "not" reprogrammable.

Is there a reliable alternative, or should I just bite the bullet and shell out $300 at the dealer?

Thanks...

If you buy a key on eBay, etc., you will at a minimum have to pay to cut the metal portion of the key, plus programming, most likely at the dealer (if it even works...and I have also heard it both ways, so perhaps some smart keys are reprogrammable, some not), and you'll probably add at least another $100-150 for that.

Something to think about: you might want to get that new key somewhere very, very soon, because if you lose the second one too, you'll need a new computer plus 2 new keys in your car, and that's several thousand bucks.