06 Tacoma Transponder key

Hi all I'm in Oklahoma and new to the forum and not sure where to being my post so I thought I would try here first. I recently bought a use 06 tacoma which only had one key. Long story short I'm trying to save some money by programing the key myself. However I'm not sure I have the right sequence. Can anyone tell me the correct sequence?

Thanks

PJSam

Ripped from the internet:

I need to know if it is a black or grey key you are trying to program, and make sure that you have a black key to program from. If you are programming a black key from a black key, do this:

1. Insert old black key into ignition. LEAVE THE IGNITION OFF THE ENTIRE TIME.

2. Pump the gas five times

3. Pump brake six times.

4. Remove old black key from ignition.

5. Put new black key in ignition.

6. Pump gas one time.

7. Let the truck sit like that until the security light quits blinking.

If it is a grey key, do exactly the same, but pump gas 4 times and brake 5 times.

If this does not work, then it cannot be done manually and must be done at a dealer with the scan tool or Techstream. Some of the newer vehicles must be programmed electronically, so I am not sure. And it will cost you, as I have never seen a dealer do it for free.

If you do not have a black key to start with, you cannot program it. You cannot add a key yourself if you only have a sub (valet) key. It can be done, but the dealer has to erase all the old keys and start over.

• 3 weeks later...

After several tries at the "Pedal Dance" I was unsuccessful. I think my problem was that the only key I had was not an original key. To solve my problem I went down to a local locksmith and had it programed there. The cost was only $20. Much less than the dealership wanted.

Thank you Humaniod for your help and to MayFair Lock and Key in Oklahoma City.

PJSam