'99 Solara: Just bought one. Santa Monica, CA

We just bought a beautiful, red SLE Solara, 6 cyl coupe with 81k miles. The mechanic says it only needs a new air filter and the rear brakes are at 40%

but I want to change the spark plugs and the wires and distributor cap and rotor as preventive maintenance. Do you know if the wires are attached to the cap and come as a unit like it does on my '91 Camry? Which plugs would be best for this car, NKG Platinum? What's the correct plug torque?

Thanks. Steve

Not sure what kind of engine you have, but I doubt that the Solara has distributor cap, but most likely uses coil packs on one side. Stay with NGK or Denso for plug choices. The torque should be 14 ft/lbs.

Not sure what kind of engine you have, but I doubt that the Solara has distributor cap, but most likely uses coil packs on one side. Stay with NGK or Denso for plug choices. The torque should be 14 ft/lbs.

I believe the engine is a >1MZFE< What about wires; should those be changed at a certain interval? BTW, I am a teacher in Los Angeles and we spend our summers in Gloucester, MA. We have a '91 Camry, '03 Odyssey and now the '99 Solara (which will be for my son,)here in Santa Monica and an '01 Odyssey and a '78 Caddie, CDV both on jacks in MA.

There isn't exactly an interval on when they should be changed, but for peace of mind for you kid, I would change them out to play it safe. Stick with the OEM ones from the dealer, they shouldn't cost too much.

There isn't exactly an interval on when they should be changed, but for peace of mind for you kid, I would change them out to play it safe. Stick with the OEM ones from the dealer, they shouldn't cost too much.

Thank you Humanoid.

Steve