My alternative to carpet in my 98 Sienna

colonel mustard

I had mentioned months ago that I was tired of the carpet smelling and getting nasty from football, soccer, and baseball cleats and gear, not to mention spills and just plain old wear and tear. So, I took out the carpet and replaced it with rubber gym floor mats. The mats are 3/4" and fit perfectly under the rubber side panels and wall pieces. It is so easy to clean and mop out if it gets dirty. Carpet is totally overrated and not really useful in a van/truck. Notice how I took out the back row of seats and made cut out holes for them. I get 23 mpg and I believe it is partly due to the less weight because I have the seats out. I threw in a shot of the outside of the van too. I just recently went to Sears and after having this van for 8 years drove home after having two new tires put on. Well, I got home and one of my wheel covers had come off somewhere along the way. Sears also broke off one of the lug posts. Didn't even tell me either. Well, they fixed the lug for free, but wouldn't budge on buying me a set of covers. So, I went to ACE and spent $5 bucks on two cans of glossy black spray paint and painted the rims. First I cleaned, scraped, and sanded down the rims and got them sparkling. Then, I sprayed them. I like the look. My wife is still a little on the fence about it. The price was right. Hopefully the pics uploaded correctly!

post-4477-1266641947_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1266641965_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1266641979_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1266642257_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1266642280_thumb.jpg

Oh I also had a problem with my hood paint bubbling off during the hurricanes about two years ago. Again, I went to ACE hardware and got some paint stripper and some scrapers. I cleared the remaining paint and repainted the hood myself. I took it all the way down to the bare metal. Then, I layered on about five coats of ospho rust inhibitor solution. Next, I used hunter green spray primer. ("Stop Rust" Brand) I waited a couple of days then found the exact matching paint in a can at Discount Auto parts. I was really psyched. A friend of a friend said he couldn't paint the hood for less then $300 dollars. I killed that price.

I had mentioned months ago that I was tired of the carpet smelling and getting nasty from football, soccer, and baseball cleats and gear, not to mention spills and just plain old wear and tear. So, I took out the carpet and replaced it with rubber gym floor mats. The mats are 3/4" and fit perfectly under the rubber side panels and wall pieces. It is so easy to clean and mop out if it gets dirty. Carpet is totally overrated and not really useful in a van/truck. Notice how I took out the back row of seats and made cut out holes for them. I get 23 mpg and I believe it is partly due to the less weight because I have the seats out. I threw in a shot of the outside of the van too. I just recently went to Sears and after having this van for 8 years drove home after having two new tires put on. Well, I got home and one of my wheel covers had come off somewhere along the way. Sears also broke off one of the lug posts. Didn't even tell me either. Well, they fixed the lug for free, but wouldn't budge on buying me a set of covers. So, I went to ACE and spent $5 bucks on two cans of glossy black spray paint and painted the rims. First I cleaned, scraped, and sanded down the rims and got them sparkling. Then, I sprayed them. I like the look. My wife is still a little on the fence about it. The price was right. Hopefully the pics uploaded correctly!

post-4477-1266644553_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...