08 SE random radio volume change

oldnslo

Hi all,

on our 08 SE the radio volume has started randomly changing on its own while you are driving down the road. We have the volume control in the sterring wheel and I have confirmed these are not being touched while it is happening.

Radio is the JBL with single CD player and Blue tooth option which has never been used.

Seems to happen more often when the vehicle is cold.

Suspect that the problem is in the remote controls in the steering wheel but don't want to do much digging due to the air bag.

TIA

Old n

Hi all,

on our 08 SE the radio volume has started randomly changing on its own while you are driving down the road. We have the volume control in the sterring wheel and I have confirmed these are not being touched while it is happening.

Radio is the JBL with single CD player and Blue tooth option which has never been used.

Seems to happen more often when the vehicle is cold.

Suspect that the problem is in the remote controls in the steering wheel but don't want to do much digging due to the air bag.

TIA

Old n

It's not the ASL function, is it? It's supposed to turn up when you go faster to compensate for wind/road noise.

It's not the ASL function, is it? It's supposed to turn up when you go faster to compensate for wind/road noise.

This is not the normal ASL function. The volume just randomly changes. Example: volume displays 10, then it climbs to 30+ with little or no speed change. Some times it go back down on its own, some times it will not. A couple of times it has just gone up and down like your kid is playing with the volume control.

I suspect taking it to the stealer would be a waste of time since the problem is so random. Does anyone know if there is a system monitoring the radio controls and recording data like on the cars drive train?

thanks

old n

I think you're probably right then...most likely some sort of short somewhere. Wires expand and contract slightly with heat and cold, so that would explain why it happens when it's cold. The fix for it would probably be expensive though. Unless the car is still under the 3 year/36k warranty?

I think you're probably right then...most likely some sort of short somewhere. Wires expand and contract slightly with heat and cold, so that would explain why it happens when it's cold. The fix for it would probably be expensive though. Unless the car is still under the 3 year/36k warranty?

YUP, still under warranty. Problem is with this being so erractic how will the dealer find the problem and repair it. They probably have their hands full with gas pedal issue.

thanks

Roy

YUP, still under warranty. Problem is with this being so erractic how will the dealer find the problem and repair it. They probably have their hands full with gas pedal issue.

thanks

Roy

Just set it up for a cold day. From what I understand, the gas pedal thing is a very quick inspection, not even necessarily a repair.