2001 Corolla questions: Tires, Struts

geocrasher

Hi there everybody. I just inherited (quite literally) a 2001 Corolla with 55k miles. My grandparents owned it from about 30k miles and they bought it in 2003. Its been babied. They can no longer drive and have gifted the car to my wife and I. Its a wonderful gift and I am grateful for it.

It needs tires quite badly. We drive mostly around town with a couple of 1000 mile trips a year. Living in Reno, NV, we do get slippery winter conditions at times. I'd like to get tires that will suffice for 90%. If its really bad, we'll just stay home! Can anyone make recommendations for a reasonably priced long lasting tire?

Lastly, the car seems to bottom out quite quickly when going over speed bumps and the like. I drive a 2009 Scion XB for work, and I can go over such bumps with ease, but the Corolla just bottoms out almost instantly. Its not that I need to fly over speed bumps, but the car seems much too soft on the suspension. Do I need new struts? Again the car only has 55k miles.

Thanks much for any nudges in the right direction!

If you are looking for longest lasting tires at a reasonable price check out Michelin X radials at Sam's club. They are warrantied for 80K miles. If you want low cost good tires (would last 35-40K miles) try Kumho. I have had Kumho and am very pleased with them Good performance, reasonable price, great smooth ride. Your struts should not be worn out at 55K and 8 years. Perhaps have an expert that you can trust check them. Or, look for any fluid leaks around where the piston goes into the cartridge (usually under a rubber protector). Also, bounce on the fender and the car should bounce up then come down to it's original position. If it bounces more than that they are shot. You have inherited a great car. I'm glad you want to take good care of it. It should last a long time. Remember to change fluids at the recommended intervals. Yes, even, power steering fluid, brake fluid, as well as coolant, oil, trans fluid. I wish you well.

I had a set of Kumho tires also...not bad at all, and great for the money. Check for an all season Bridgestone Potenzas in your size...also a great tire. I drove a Supra year 'round in Michigan with no issues with a set of the Bridgestones.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be checking out those kumhos for sure. Tirerack's prices were <$60 each, which seems decent for a good tire. I'm used to buying truck tires, which are usually $100+ each so its nice to spend less.

I'll also try the bounce test. I'd forgotten about that! Perhaps I just am wanting something a bit stiffer.