Chirping comming from under the hood

refman1970

Thanks to all that have responded to my other posts. I have the car in pretty good. Today I noticed a chirping noise coming from under the hood on the passengers side. I have turned off the AC and it still is there any ideas

Thanks

Thanks to all that have responded to my other posts. I have the car in pretty good. Today I noticed a chirping noise coming from under the hood on the passengers side. I have turned off the AC and it still is there any ideas

Thanks

Not knowing all of the things you changed or checked I would first suspect the drive belt.

Some symtoms of a slipping belt.

Does this sound change with engine RPM or go away once the car has run for a few minutes? I.e. Alternator loaded recharging the battery from starting.

Does the sound increase with sudden acceleration with the car in park?

Does it change or increase when turning on all the lights? I.e. loads the alternator more

Good luck

the Old n

I concur that it is likely the serpentine belt (or some belt) that is chirping. A method to test this is to open the hood with the motor running (and chirping) and spray some water on the belt (use a hose). The chirping should stop for a few seconds and then come back as the belt dries. It you don't like the chirping just have the belt changed. The chirping probably means that the belt is old and hardened enough that it should be replaced anyway.

Most likely cause: belt - replace with a GoodYear Gatorback belt

other causes - belt tensioner going bad

least likely but has happened before: water pump leaking fluid onto belt causing the sound you hear

Most likely cause: belt - replace with a GoodYear Gatorback belt

other causes - belt tensioner going bad

least likely but has happened before: water pump leaking fluid onto belt causing the sound you hear

Didn't think about the tensioner...that could be it too. If so, you might as well replace the belt while you're getting that done (if that is the case).

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say that the belt and belt tensioner going bad on a 1zz-fe or 2zz-ge motor is a common issue. A lot of Matrix, Corolla and Celica drivers have had this issue.

Though if it is the belt tensioner - the new one from the dealer has been improved to NOT have that be an issue again (mostly).

As for the belt - GoodYear Gatorback belt has been a godsend for many 1st generation Matrix and 9th generation Corolla owners.