short circuit damage-- temporary or permanent?

rattletrap96

Hi,

I discovered my vehicle with horn blaring, lights on, emitting highpitched alarm sound-- none of this encouraged by me.

In fact my remote security keytag has been 'retired' for several years--I just use my key.

Water had spilled in the passenger foot well behind drivers seat-- and caused short circuit while car was parked.

As the horn blared I suddenly recalled a warning in the owners manual. Gee, this must be why they have the warning!

Vehicle runs with jump start.

Interior of vehicle is being dehumidified.

Battery condition (will still take charge?) not yet ascertained.

Question: what is the likelihood that after all circuitry dries out that no major damage has occurred?

thanks

I've done that before...got the passenger footwell of one of my Supras completely soaking wet (car wash gone bad). After doing strange things for an hour or so, like power locks flipping on and off without hitting the button, and windows rolling down spontaneously, it eventually dried out and was completely fine.

I've done that before... it eventually dried out and was completely fine.

Right now playing 'waiting game' the battery terminals remain temporarily disconnected-- car still emits an alarm sound when I connect the battery. The fuse for the horn was removed to squelch the horrible noise, and I have yet to put the fuse back in. Haven't tried to turn over the engine; towtruck driver thought I'd probably need a new battery.

I'm hoping that all will be OK once moisture is 'gone'

thanks for advice

Right now playing 'waiting game' the battery terminals remain temporarily disconnected-- car still emits an alarm sound when I connect the battery. The fuse for the horn was removed to squelch the horrible noise, and I have yet to put the fuse back in. Haven't tried to turn over the engine; towtruck driver thought I'd probably need a new battery.

I'm hoping that all will be OK once moisture is 'gone'

thanks for advice

Good luck!!

Back on the road again just as if nothing had happened! I do not recommend this drill.

The only good thing--in doing an inventory of my replacement fuses I have discovered I need a new one.

cheers!

That's good news...enjoy the drive!