Can I Tow a Cassita 16 Foot Camper?

bobandroch

Hi. I'm new to this club and forum and seek advice. I have a 2008 Rav 4, 6 cylinder, 4WD and am in the market for a camper. I'm looking at a Cassita Freedom Deluxe 16 foot that has a dry weight of 2185 lbs and dry hitch weight of 255 lbs. Will I be able to comfortably tow this camper on long trips that will include across mountains with all travel on interstates.

I will greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Hi. I'm new to this club and forum and seek advice. I have a 2008 Rav 4, 6 cylinder, 4WD and am in the market for a camper. I'm looking at a Cassita Freedom Deluxe 16 foot that has a dry weight of 2185 lbs and dry hitch weight of 255 lbs. Will I be able to comfortably tow this camper on long trips that will include across mountains with all travel on interstates.

I will greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Do you have the towing prep package on your Rav4? If so, you should be fine. If not, you're pushing your luck a little bit.

Do you have the towing prep package on your Rav4? If so, you should be fine. If not, you're pushing your luck a little bit.

Yes, I do have the towing prep package. Should have mentioned that in my original post. Thanks for the feedback.

• 9 months later...

You should be rated for a tow weight of 3000lbs if I recall correctly, so as long as you stay under that when your trailer is fully loaded (camping junk, all fluids such as drinking water, propane), in theory you should be OK. However, you also need to look at the ratings of your hitch. Last, if this is your first time at towing, to be sure you follow all pertinent recommendations as to how to load your trailer. As always, proceed cautiously until you can experience the towing dynamics of your rig, esp. on hills, curves, highway speeds, etc. You should have plenty of engine power on normal roads; mountain driving could well bog you down, however (you may think you're dragging an anchor on steep/long inclines). Watch your guages as well, esp. your temp. Tire pressure on your rig is also very important. For info re: your sepcifc rig you might try searching camping forum sites (e.g. popupportal.com). Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I have an `08 RAV4 Sport with V6 and tow package. I tow an 18' boat/trailer that weights 3400# (3500# rating per Toyota) I knew from towing a 2500# utility trailer that the brakes were the weak point in towing capacity, so I got surge brakes on my boat trailer. I've towed this rig about 8 times for a distance of 65+ miles each way and have been very impressed with the towing. The surge brakes make the difference. Plenty of power to get things going and, with the trailer brakes, absolutely no problem with stopping. It feels very stabile to me. I had one almost panic stop, but again, the brakes made the quick stomp very comfortable.

This is at the upper limit for the RAV4, but I don't plan on towing more than the 65 miles per trip if I can avoid it. Sounds like the your RAV should be able to tow the 16' camper ok. Good luck.

(btw, used to tow larger trailers with full size pickups and find the RAV4 a good substitute for towing less than 3400#)