How many Paseo Convertibles?

I tried to search this topic and found nothing; I apologize in advance if I missed a previous post.

Does anyone out there know how many Paseo Convertibles were produced?

I checked with the customer relations line at Toyota and was told that they had no hard numbers what the split was between the 1997 coupes and convertibles. The woman I talked to talked to someone else who though the number was about 1,000. That sounds low to me. A person on the Toronto Paseo website though the number was closer to 10,000 (that sounds more likely to me).

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn’t break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

If there are any other Paseo convertible owners out there, let me know where you are located. I would guess the majority of the convertibles would have been sold in California or Florida.

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn't break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

If there are any other Paseo convertible owners out there, let me know where you are located. I would guess the majority of the convertibles would have been sold in California or Florida.

Hmm...not many, less even than Supras. Nice little car though.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn't break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

I was told 1000, all of course in '97. All were basically hand-built by ASC in California. Mine is up to 35,000 miles here in Michigan. It's only out May through September. Looking for a back-up top to keep for when needed. Have you found any good lights for it? the headlight design is dim at best with high powered bulbs.

• 3 years later...

The 1,000 number is correct.

ASC (American Sunroof Company) was contracted to build the convertibles. Paseos were shipped to California where ASC cut off the roof and essentially rebuilt the car as a convertible adding a lot of strength to the chassis and body for rigidity.

Mine has 36K miles on it. It remains a very rigid body (no squeaks or rattles).

Even the local Toyota dealer didn't know what it was. Now it's a celebrity car when it goes in.

Headlights are horrible, even with 100W bulbs and relays. The lens design is abysmal. I continue to search for a euro style replacement lens, but have found nothing. Nowhere to put driving lights, so I rarely drive it at night. When I do I drive with the brights on. No one has ever flashed me back.

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn’t break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

I have a charcoal metalic Paseo with 36K miles. Great little car, lousy lights for night driving. If anyone knows where to get better lights ( I have 100W bulbs with relays - the lens design is bad) please let me know.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a '97 convertible. Out of our four cars (Tacoma, Matrix and Honda CRV) the Paseo has become my favorite beater (several years ago replacing my very beat up 1984 Toyota Hilux pickup that my wife ironically titled "the babe magnet").

My wife and I have driven the Paseo lots over the years. The car's in pretty rough shape, 156k miles, faded paint, on it's second top, torque converter causing shaking at idle.

One day last year I saw somebody taking a cell phone photo of me driving along in it. I thought "WTF?" I did some homework and saw these are rare -- and unpopular. Made me think of the infamous Ford Edsel. Maybe in fifty years it will be worth.... $1,500 OBO. whoo hoo! ain't retiring early. (Edsel's, however, will fetch huge money)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PS -- just last week I was at Toyota looking for a part for my Paseo. The part's guy came out to see the car to help understand what part I needed. When we got back inside he smiled and said "I've never seen a convertible Paseo before." And the part I wanted, relating to the top, was discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW.... My paseo convertible ASC (Automobile Specialty Company) ID in the door jamb has the number "00873" which would seem to indicate it is the 873rd convertible ASC made for Toyota. If other convertible Paseo owners report their ASC number, we could start to get an idea or confirmation or the production number range.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2016 at 2:38 AM, PaseoRagTop said:

FWIW.... My paseo convertible ASC (Automobile Specialty Company) ID in the door jamb has the number "00873" which would seem to indicate it is the 873rd convertible ASC made for Toyota. If other convertible Paseo owners report their ASC number, we could start to get an idea or confirmation or the production number range.

That's a good idea. I'll check mine later today

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 2:38 AM, PaseoRagTop said:

Mine was 00744. It was totaled in an accident this past Thursday :-(

I’ve been looking like crazy but can’t find another Paseo convertible, as expected. And I was 2 weeks away from doing an engine swap too :-(

4DA5D52C-750B-4D34-B557-17EDB9E7B624.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have owned a 1997 Toyota Paseo convertible since 2004.  The following production numbers are from a personal communication from ASC, Inc. dated 10/6/2005.  ASC has since gone out of business.

Date: 10/6/2005 10:08AM

Subject: Toyota Paseo Convertible

Below are the production numbers (they are fairly accurate) for the Paseo Convertible, this includes the Cynos (name different for exported vehicles). Also some press information release by Toyota about the Paseo convertible.

1997 - 3694

1998 - 151

1999 - 24 ________________________________________________

ASC Incorporated - Marketing and Communications One ASC Center, Southgate, MI 48195

Here is the complete message.

Date: 10/6/2005 10:08AM

Subject: Toyota Paseo Convertible

Below are the production numbers (they are fairly accurate) for the Paseo Convertible, this includes the Cynos (name different for exported vehicles). Also some press information release by Toyota about the Paseo convertible.

1997 - 3694

1998 - 151

1999 - 24 ________________________________________________

ASC Incorporated - Marketing and Communications One ASC Center, Southgate, MI 48195

Toyota Press Release Toyota and ASC Celebrate the Completion of First Paseo Convertible: New Toyota vehicle is the lowest priced convertible in America.

10/21/1996 Torrance, CA

October, 1996 - TORRANCE, CA - Toyota and ASC celebrated the completion of the first Paseo Convertible at a line-off ceremony held at ASC's Long Beach, Calif. assembly facility on Sept. 26. Yoshio Ishizaka, president and CEO of Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. joined Heinz Prechter, chairman and founder of ASC Incorporated for a ribbon cutting ceremony, as the first Paseo Convertible rolled off the assembly line. "Today, Toyota not only celebrates the completion of the first Paseo Convertible, but a 14-year partnership with our friends at ASC," stated Ishizaka at the Sept. 26 ceremony. "Both the Paseo and the Celica convertibles are symbolic of our mutual commitment to producing quality products for sale both here and abroad." The Paseo Convertible's conversion process takes place at U.S.-supplier ASC, in Long Beach, Calif., the conversion location for the Toyota Celica. Toyota's newest entry in the sporty car segment offers the lowest price point of all convertibles sold in the United States. The Paseo convertible combines the leading-edge style of the coupe model with the sun-loving addition of a manual convertible top. The Paseo Convertible begins life at Toyota's Takaoka plant in Toyota City, Japan, as a partially assembled coupe. Structural braces in the rocker panels, rear strut towers and rear fenders are added before the vehicle leaves the factory. It is then shipped to ASC, where the metal roof is removed and the conversion process begins. A four-layer insulated top is designed specifically for this application. Adding only 143 pounds to Paseo's curb weight, the conversion allows the vehicle to retain its rear seat and invades only minimally into the trunk, allowing plenty of secured cargo space. The convertible's top features a heated rear glass window and glass rear quarter windows that fold with the top. The Paseo's lightweight top is easily raised from the driver's seat position. The Convertible will be offered in three exterior paint colors including Super White, Satin Black Metallic and Super Red, all with complimentary gray sport-cloth interiors. The Paseo Convertible will be sold in the United States, as well as Japan and Europe. Paseo convertibles will reach U.S. Toyota dealers on Nov. 1, 1996.

Toyota Press Release The 1997 Paseo lineup is expanded with the addition of a Convertible model. The conversion takes place alongside the Celica Convertible in the ASC plant in Rancho Dominguez, Calif., where the roof is removed and the convertible top installed. The top is two-layer and incorporates an integrated heated glass rear window. What does it mean? Paseo: From the Spanish word meaning "promenade." Where is it built? All Paseos are built at the Takaoka Plant in Toyota City, Japan.

Toyota Press Release 07/01/1997

The distinctive 1997 Paseo coupe delivers affordable, sporty car styling with Toyota's unmatched reputation for quality, dependability and reliability. Adding to the excitement for ‘97, Paseo goes topless. The all-new Paseo convertible offers all the fun and style of the coupe with the sun-loving addition of a manual convertible top. The Paseo convertible's conversion process takes place at U.S. supplier ASC, in Rancho Dominguez, Calif., the conversion location for the Toyota Celica. The Paseo convertible begins at Toyota's Takaoka plant in Toyota City, Japan as a partially assembled coupe. Structural braces in the rocker panels, rear strut towers and rear fenders are added before the vehicle leaves the factory. It is then shipped to ASC, where the metal roof is removed and the conversion process begins. A four-layer insulated top is designed specifically for this application. Adding only 143 pounds to Paseo's curb weight, the conversion allows the vehicle to keep its full-sized rear seat and invades only minimally into the trunk, allowing plenty of secured cargo space. The convertible's top features a heated rear glass window and glass rear quarter windows that fold with the top. The Paseo's lightweight top is easily raised from the driver's seat position. Completely redesigned last year, the second generation Paseo receives only minor changes for 1997. New Paseo interior features include dual vanity mirrors on the hardtop coupe, revised cabin door trim and logically placed rotary heater controls. Paseo retains its aerodynamic look without exterior changes for 1997. The Paseo's trend-setting design and sleek lines are enhanced by flush headlamps and spoiler-style color keyed bumpers. Complimentary black remote-controlled mirrors, protective bodyside molding, tinted windows and full wheel covers add to the look. Sports car-styling cues are not limited to the exterior. Reclining high-back seats with integrated heardrests and fabric upholstery accentuate the Paseo's cabin. Interior appointments include rear fold-down seats with security lock, fabric door trim, full carpeting, fabric headliner and fully lined trunk. The feature-packed cabin offers popular conveniences standard. Niceties include AM/FM ETR radio with four-speakers, dual cupholders, a digital clock, rear window defogger, intermittent wipers and remote fuel and trunk releases. The instrument panel is convenient as well, with easy-to-read white-faced gauges and warning lights. The Paseo's 1.5 liter DOHC four-cylinder engine offers a quick-revving 93 horsepower at 5,400 rpm and 100 lbs./ft. of torque at 4,400 rpm. Available with either a slick-shifting manual transmission or four-speed electronically controlled automatic, the engine is as economical as it is responsive. Paseo's estimated EPA city/highway gas mileage is an impressive 30/35 mpg for the five-speed manual transmission and 28/34 mpg for the four-speed automatic transmission. Paseo's suspension offers nimble handling and excellent ride comfort via a MacPherson strut-type front suspension and trailing torsion beam rear suspension. Front and rear stabilizer bars and power assisted rack-and-pinion steering contribute to Paseo's balance and control. Paseo offers important safety features, including available anti-lock brakes and all-weather guard package in addition to the standard three-point driver-side and passenger seat belts, dual airbags and four-spoke steering wheel. Optional equipment allows buyers to further personalize the Paseo. Factory options include air conditioning, power windows and door locks, polycast wheels, cruise control, rear spoiler, styled alloy wheels and glass pop-up sunroof with sunshade. Paseo is a sleek, sporty car, that combines an athletic and youthful attitude with sophisticated engineering. J.D. Power and Associates recently ranked Toyota Paseo as one of its top five vehicles and awarded Paseo the accolade of “Best Sporty Car” in the 1996 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study. The convertible will be offered in three exterior paint colors including Super White, Satin Black Metallic and Super Red, all with complimentary gray sport-cloth interiors. Eight vibrant colors, one new for 1997, are available on the coupe. Exterior paint colors include the new Coral Rose, Super White, Platinum Metallic, Super Black Metallic, Super Red, Sierra Green Metallic, Light Turquoise Pearl and Bright Iris Pearl all with gray sport-cloth interiors. Limited Warranty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a red convertible in the San Fransisco Bay Area. Replaced the top & got a new paint job about 7 years ago. Still looks great. Doesn't run well anymore. Not sure what needs to be fixed, but I will be posting that in a different feed. 

I'll check the number when I get home. That is a cool thing to know 

• 4 months later...

I'm in Indiana, USA  and have a 97 paseo convertible. Replaced the engine on it at 217000 miles (girlfriend didn't put oil in it) with an engine out of a toyota tracel. Fun car to drive will run forever if you keep oil in it lol only takes 3 quarts so keep an eye on it. 

• 11 months later...

This '97 Convertible now has 41,000 miles. I was told by Toyota that they made less than 1700 in the ASC facility in California
It was a gift from my best friend to my son on his 18th birthday in '08 (then 19,000 miles).

He purchased it a few years earlier from Pennsylvania where the original owner put just 4K miles on it.
We have only had to do the brakes.  No other costs in 13 years aside from oil/filter changes.
It has no rattles or squeeks.  My mechanic is enormous and he claims it's the best convertible he's ever worked on.  And he CAN  get in it.
Concerned about obtaining a new top in a few years, so anyone with suggestions, please let me know.
It is a blast to drive.
The mechanics at the local Toyota dealer didn't even know what it was and were skeptical that Toyota had built them.
It was brought to Michigan for us by Rousch Racing.  It was the only car on the covered truck and the driver assumed it was some special show car as it was all he hauled from San Francisco.  We were just lucky to have a friend at Rousch help us out.  Shipping was only $800.

DSCF1692-2.JPG

DSCF1696-2.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Just bought my 4th Paseo, and first convertible. ASC conversion #2922.

“Super white, “ 29,000 miles, AC, MT, PW, PDL, stock alloys. New top. All stock, no mods.

I’m never selling this one.