Wet Carpets

POB

I own a 2002 Sienna. Abour two years ago I noticed water seeping up through the driver and passanger carpets. I took it to the delaership and they said it was a problem with firewall and it 1,600.00 to repair which included a whole new carpet. Four weeks later ther problem came back and I took i back to Toyota. They checked the firewall again and said they put sealent under the floor. This worked for about a year but now it's stating again. In this finacial climate I cannot afford a new carpet; rather I would like to reach out to other Toyota owners who have experienced a similar problem and had a concrete and positive diagnosis.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2002 Sienna. Abour two years ago I noticed water seeping up through the driver and passanger carpets. I took it to the delaership and they said it was a problem with firewall and it 1,600.00 to repair which included a whole new carpet. Four weeks later ther problem came back and I took i back to Toyota. They checked the firewall again and said they put sealent under the floor. This worked for about a year but now it's stating again. In this finacial climate I cannot afford a new carpet; rather I would like to reach out to other Toyota owners who have experienced a similar problem and had a concrete and positive diagnosis.

Peter

I guess no one has this problem, This sound like dealer did not fix this problem in the first place. Why dont you bring it back have them fix it?

• 6 months later...

Peter

Hello,

I was sorry to hear about your problem. I have a 98 Sienna and I had to do something about my carpet too. I did not have a leak problem like you are experiencing but my solution may help. If not just ignore my solution. My kids were the source of my problems and concerns. We take long drives with our kids on vacation and things would spill. So what I did was use the interlocking rubber gym floor mats to replace the carpet. First I took out the passenger seats behind the front row. Next I cut out the old nasty carpet. Third I got the gym weight floor mats and tucked them under the plastic lip around the outer edge to lock them in place. Three across fit perfect. My other car is a Honda Element which has a similar floor system. Mine is more comfortable and more sound retardent. I then cut the holes in the place for the four rear seats and then viola...spills and water are not a problem. I can take a blower to the inside and then mop it.

Hello,

I was sorry to hear about your problem. I have a 98 Sienna and I had to do something about my carpet too. I did not have a leak problem like you are experiencing but my solution may help. If not just ignore my solution. My kids were the source of my problems and concerns. We take long drives with our kids on vacation and things would spill. So what I did was use the interlocking rubber gym floor mats to replace the carpet. First I took out the passenger seats behind the front row. Next I cut out the old nasty carpet. Third I got the gym weight floor mats and tucked them under the plastic lip around the outer edge to lock them in place. Three across fit perfect. My other car is a Honda Element which has a similar floor system. Mine is more comfortable and more sound retardent. I then cut the holes in the place for the four rear seats and then viola...spills and water are not a problem. I can take a blower to the inside and then mop it.

Nice solution! It should almost be a factory option!

Now, if you can only come up with a fool-proof way so that my morning coffee doesn't spill when I go sliding through those corners as I'm late to work every morning.... :P

• 3 weeks later...

Dont drink coffee...! :o) I used to spill OJ and or whatever was in my huge...American Choppers 7-11 mug. Then I got a mug with a turn lock top. Perfect...And if you ever check out the Honda Element it is the factory flooring in their vehicle. It really does make sense. who thought of carpet in a vehicle? That was not a smart innovation. So both of my vehicles are capable of being blown out with a leaf blower...and mopped. I love it.

Nice solution! It should almost be a factory option!

Now, if you can only come up with a fool-proof way so that my morning coffee doesn't spill when I go sliding through those corners as I'm late to work every morning.... :P

I'm very talented...I will find a way to spill it even if it has a lock-top. :lol:

The vinyl flooring in the Element is nice, but hard on shoe heels, my purse on the floor, etc. I haven't seen that sort of flooring in a Toyota in a long time.

I too have found ways to spill the unspillable...My huge mugs with lids dont fit in the standard size cup holders so I have to wedge stuff around the cup and hope that I dont have to pull a "Fast and Furious" maneuver into work...

I'm very talented...I will find a way to spill it even if it has a lock-top. :lol:

The vinyl flooring in the Element is nice, but hard on shoe heels, my purse on the floor, etc. I haven't seen that sort of flooring in a Toyota in a long time.

I usually go out of my way to include as many of those maneuvers as possible in my 7 mile commute all the way down one extremely straight boring street...I get a lot of weird looks when I blow the doors off Mustangs in my Lexus sedan....

• 4 months later...