What Tires are on your hybrid and their effect on MPG

gaspricestoohighforme

Hi,

I have heard that different brand tires can make an enormous difference in the average MPG on a hybrid. My 2002 Prius 1 has BFGoodrich Revelation Touring tires which howl like truck tires. During the life of your Prius which brands have you tried and which ones are best MPG??

And... how often do you check/add air to your tires? It seems I have been adding air way too often, I check every two weeks, I watch my MPG's trend down, down , down and when it hits 45mpg - 47-48mpg is normal- I check and all four tires are 5 lbs low! Is it cheap tires? or cheap aluminum rims? Anyone?

• 2 months later...

The factory tires on my 2006 Prius (Goodyear Integrity) lasted just 27,000 miles, and were quite noisy. I just replaced them with a set of Pirelli P3000s, with an 85,000 mile warranty. They are quieter, and have improved the handling of the car. The car dealer said he generally sees life between 25-35K miles on Prius tires. The mileage has shown about a 2-3 mpg improvement, too. When I bough these Pirelli's, I replaced the factory rimes with some snazzy, yet lighter, polished alloy rims. They sure look better than those awful factory rims.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I have heard that different brand tires can make an enormous difference in the average MPG on a hybrid. My 2002 Prius 1 has BFGoodrich Revelation Touring tires which howl like truck tires. During the life of your Prius which brands have you tried and which ones are best MPG??

And... how often do you check/add air to your tires? It seems I have been adding air way too often, I check every two weeks, I watch my MPG's trend down, down , down and when it hits 45mpg - 47-48mpg is normal- I check and all four tires are 5 lbs low! Is it cheap tires? or cheap aluminum rims? Anyone?

They make a significant difference. You want tires with the lowest rolling resistance. Time pressure is more significant. If you carry higher pressure than recommended that will improve mileage.

• 4 months later...

I recently replaced the factory tires, Goodyear, with tires recommended by my dealer, Yokohama brand. I do not know the specific model of either, but I do know that my 2007 Prius averaged 48MPG with the BF Goodrich tires, and now only averages 41MPG with the Yokohamas. I am not happy about that loss of mpg. I have contacted the dealer but they are playing dumb about this, like they have no idea why I would be losing mpg. I am also interested in hearing others' experiences with this.

Hi,