Camry suddenly stalls when idling

courtyarb

All of the sudden, my '98 4-cylander Camry (120,000 miles) began stalling whenever it idles: stopped at a light or parked. It starts and drives just fine. But given a minute or less at idle, it will always stall. No weird noises or jolts. It had never done this before yesterday.

I thought bad gas, so I put in some fuel injection cleaner. That didn't help.

I took it to the mechanic. The computer shows that all systems are working fine. He replaced the MAP sensor, which did not help. He took off the fuel filter, which he said was full of "junk". He is replacing the fuel line and fuel filter tomorrow, but he doesn't seem to think this will fix the problem. He is essentially clueless about how to proceed if the filter/fuel line change doesn't do the trick.

Other info: I had just filled up the a full tank of gas the day before this happened. Also, two weeks before, I had a new battery put in.

What could be causing this problem to begin all of the sudden? PLEASE HELP!

All of the sudden, my '98 4-cylander Camry (120,000 miles) began stalling whenever it idles: stopped at a light or parked. It starts and drives just fine. But given a minute or less at idle, it will always stall. No weird noises or jolts. It had never done this before yesterday.

I thought bad gas, so I put in some fuel injection cleaner. That didn't help.

I took it to the mechanic. The computer shows that all systems are working fine. He replaced the MAP sensor, which did not help. He took off the fuel filter, which he said was full of "junk". He is replacing the fuel line and fuel filter tomorrow, but he doesn't seem to think this will fix the problem. He is essentially clueless about how to proceed if the filter/fuel line change doesn't do the trick.

Other info: I had just filled up the a full tank of gas the day before this happened. Also, two weeks before, I had a new battery put in.

What could be causing this problem to begin all of the sudden? PLEASE HELP!

Update: Mechanic said that the IAC valve was one of the first things that he thought about, but that my car "doesn't have one." Is this possible? He said that my car has a MAP sensor instead, and that they already tried replacing that, which didn't work.